Ch. 2: The Glue to this Family

En başından başla

"You have to understand Nino—" Bianca cocked her head and corrected herself. She found her motherly tone Anthony usually only heard her use on her daughter, Evie if she asked a difficult question. "Or maybe you should find comfort in the fact that you can't understand Nino because you didn't have to discover Mom and Dad's bodies. He did. We all come to terms with bad news in our own ways. You're the glue to this family, Anthony and though we might forget to say it and though it doesn't seem like we appreciate it, it's the truth."

"Did Dante send you to butter me up?"

She smiled. "I love you very much and if Knox ever does anything to truly upset you, I will kill him. Or at least make sure Gabriel sends somebody to do it for me."

"But why does it have to be me?" Anthony declared. Hoping to feel less crazy. Someone had to take his side. It was being on the right side of history. "I actually work for the family. Meanwhile, Matty doesn't do anything. He hasn't even declared in college."

Bianca's arms dropped and she finally entered the room, closing the door behind her. Anthony plopped back on his bed and Bianca joined him, running her French manicured hand through the back of his head, ruining the spiral of his curls. "Don't be cross with Matty. It was not his decision for you to get married to Knox. Be mad at our parents for giving birth to you in the first place."

Anthony let out the smallest puff of laughter. Bianca didn't sugarcoat things. She didn't try to make people feel better with empty words. Anthony loved her fiercely and there was a crack in his heart, already suffering from the separation.

"Besides," Bianca nudged him. "You should remember the fact that Dante will never allow Matty to be in a relationship, so be happy knowing Mathew will probably die alone—"

Just as she said it, Mathew walked into the room. His jaw dropped, looking between them and searching for the words. He could make himself so easily look like a wounded puppy. They were both the babies of the family, but all Anthony could do was look like the devil next to that angel. Even his whine couldn't sound annoying. Mathew insisted, "I didn't do anything."

"We know," Anthony grumbled.

"Aw, Matty." Bianca cooed at him.

"Oh, leave me alone." Mathew sighed and pushed off the door to go.

Hopping up, Bianca followed Mathew out of the room with her arms wide opened. "Did you come here to comfort mean old Anthony? Come here, baby." Chasing after him, the door closed behind her and Anthony was left alone in his room, completely abandoned. He threw his arms out, exasperated. They really didn't notice what they did to him.

Anthony shook his head and took out his phone, doing a quick search of anything and everything he could find out about Knox Lavigne.

Clicking over to images, Anthony zoomed in on the first picture that came up of his fiancé. Knox Lavigne, like any vampire, appeared relatively ageless. He had that classic prince thing going on for him, like he was just pulled out of a box with slicked back white, blonde hair and a crisp polo shirt. It was too polished. Too neat and tidy. Just the picture made Anthony itch the way libraries that were too quiet did.

He thought about looking up Knox's birthday and checking out his astrological sign when Nino started to call his phone. Anthony debated hanging up but answered anyway. Nino skipped formalities and got straight to the point. "I just heard. I'm sorry, Anthony. I didn't realize if I broke the engagement, someone else would have to..." He took a breath. "I just didn't see this coming."

All the things Anthony could say, all the anger he could unleash onto Nino fizzled out in Anthony's mouth, leaving a burn at the back of his throat. "Stick to your guns, Nino," Anthony said, raising up his chin and rolling back his shoulders for no one but himself. "It's not like you're going to give up on Ben, right?"

"No, I'm not."

Nino's simple answer was loud enough for Anthony. Anthony forced a laugh and said, "Then, you'll just have to stay committed to Ben forever or I get to kill you."

"Anthony," Nino said. "It might not make you feel better, but I actually think you'd like Knox—"

Anthony hung up and tossed his phone on the bed. It immediately brightened again. Threatening Anthony with another call from Nino. He sent his older brother straight to voicemail. It was like his siblings were competing to see who could be the most annoying today. Giving up, Anthony belly flopped, face down onto his bed and tried turning his brain completely off. He thought he was going to implode from the pressure.

His bed vibrated and Anthony groaned, turning around and he barked at the phone, "That's it! I'm changing my number and throwing my phone off the nearest cliff!"

There was an odd pause and Anthony wondered if Nino hung up on himself.

That was until a voice Anthony hardly recognized answered back, "Hello? Is this..." this man paused and every function, cell, and organ inside of Anthony froze over. This man's voice trickled out of the receiver like a low guttural sound from the back of his throat into the depth of Anthony's ear. It made the baby hairs on his neck stand "Is this Anthony Ventura? It's Knox Lavigne."