into starlight we fade out

a/n: written for aquamelt week 2023 day 4: first date

———

Aqua didn't know how he got roped into the situation he was currently in.

Melt had suddenly approached him with a blush tainting his cheeks, as he barely managed to get out that he was inviting Aqua to the amusement park that Friday evening.

The exchange was quick, it seemed like Melt wanted to just put the offer out there in a way where Aqua didn't have the chance to reject. Not that Aqua would reject the chance to hang out with Melt, he was thankful that he'd been the one to take initiative and reach out to Aqua more.

Melt quickly added on at the end, "It's a date, by the way. I'll text you."

Oh.

So that's how it was.

Aqua didn't have the heart to tell Melt he wasn't the biggest fan of amusement parks.

He wasn't in a position to reject Melt anyway, given his own feelings that had started to develop towards him, in which he refused to admit to anyone, including himself, just how much Melt occupied his mind.

It's not like he had anything holding him back anymore either, Aqua's plans of revenge were done and over with, allowing for him to finally have some well-needed rest and peace of mind.

Aqua probably would've asked Melt out first, but he'd been beaten at that. It was fine, this was a step in the right direction for their relationship anyway. And besides, this gave Aqua the chance to tease Melt about how he'd never expected him to actually have the courage to ask him out.

And that put him to now, where he stood in line for some roller coaster that Melt had practically begged for them to go on together, despite it looking like the most terrifying thing in the world to Aqua.

Aqua tried to push down his fear, from a logical standpoint it was silly, he knew that, out of all of the things he'd gone through, he was afraid of amusement park rides of all things?

Normally, if he went with Ruby, he'd go on a few of the less extreme rides, like bumper cars or the ferris wheel, but he wouldn't do much else, and he became the designated belongings holder while Ruby dragged poor Miyako onto the scarier rides. He also wasn't opposed to playing some of the carnival games, so it wasn't like he wasn't completely useless being there. Holding everyone's belongings wasn't so bad, it gave Aqua the chance to sneak some of Ruby's popcorn when she wasn't looking.

It'd been a while since he'd visited the amusement park with Ruby and Miyako, with everyone getting caught up in their own schedules. Even if he wasn't the biggest fan of them, he missed the silly antics that went on between the three of them.

Aqua shrugged off that thought, although the memories were pleasant he didn't want to dote on the past for too long. He was there with Melt, after all, they'd be making new memories together.

The thought of making memories with Melt caused Aqua to feel warmth in his chest. He liked the idea of that.

Aqua snuck a glance at Melt, and he seemed like he was practically beaming, excitingly moving in place as they waited. He thought Melt was pretty cute.

Well, Aqua thought it was fine to think of Melt that way. They were on a date, after all.

"You look like you're excited," Aqua commented without even realizing, at least the comment about him thinking Melt was cute wasn't the one that came out, thank god.

"I am excited! I haven't been to an amusement park in so long!" Melt beamed at Aqua, and then he paused, furrowing his brow as he examined Aqua's body language, catching onto his lack of excitement. "You don't look like you're excited."