Fairy Godmother (49)

Start from the beginning

One of the inmates he had defeated, his face bruised and swollen, managed to rise to his feet. He spat blood onto the floor and sneered at Robby, his voice dripping with malice. "This was just a warmup, Keene. We ain't done with you."

As the tension sizzled down, the public announcement system crackled to life. A stern voice echoed through the facility, commanding attention.

"Attention, all inmates. Immediate lockdown. Return to your bunks."

The announcement hung in the air, momentarily freezing the guards and inmates in their tracks. The urgency in the voice left no room for negotiation or retaliation. Reluctantly, the guards released their grip on Robby, and the inmates dispersed, casting vengeful glances his way.

Back at the car wash station, Sam meticulously counted the crumpled bills in her hands, her brow furrowed with worry. As she let out a defeated sigh, she muttered, "Only $1200... We need thirty thousand for Miguel's surgery."

Kat's eyes met Sam's, her gaze unwavering. She took a deep breath, steadying herself before speaking. "Sam, I might have a way for us to get the money we need," she said with a subtle smile.

Sam's eyebrows furrowed deeper. "What are you suggesting, Kat? Is it... legal?" she asked, slightly concerned.

Kat hesitated, aware of the weight of her next words. "When my grandma passed away, she left me some money in her trust," she winced. "I can access a portion of it, and if we use it, our problems will be solved. We'll have the money for Miguel's surgery."

Sam's eyes widened. She knew the significance of what Kat was proposing the potential consequences it carried. "Kat, that's a big ask," she responded, her voice tinged with caution. "Are you sure about this? We could be crossing a line."

Kat's gaze never wavered as she locked eyes with her friend. Her voice firm, "Sam, we're talking about Miguel's life here," she said, her tone unwavering. "I would do anything for him. Anything."

Kat sighed as she stood up from the curb of the car wash station.

Sam looked at Kat curiously. "Where are you going? Home?"

Smirking, Kat shook her head. "I'm going to solve this." She walked back to her car, and drove to the bank.

Upon reaching the bank, Kat approached the bank clerk. She breathed a deep breath before affirming, "I am here to withdraw thirty thousand dollars for my friend," she stated firmly, her eyes unwavering.

The bank clerk raised an eyebrow, surprised by the large sum. "May I ask the purpose of the withdrawal?" she inquired.

Kat took a deep breath, her voice steady. "My friend needs life-saving surgery," she explained, her eyes filled with determination. "And I'm going to do everything I can to help him."

The bank clerk nodded, typing on the computer. "Certainly, may I ask which account you would like to withdraw from?" they inquired politely.

Kat thought for a moment before replying, "My grandma left me some money in her trust. Can you check how much is in there?"

The bank teller nodded and quickly pulled up the account information. After a brief moment, they turned back to Kat, their eyes widening in surprise. "You have 3.8 million dollars in your trust," they revealed, their voice tinged with astonishment. "And that's not even including your money market."

Kat's eyebrows shot up in disbelief, her mouth forming an "O" shape. She whispered under her breath, "Oh shit."

The bank clerk smiled warmly. "If you'd like to withdraw the thirty thousand, I can arrange that for you. How would you like it? In hundreds?"

Kat nodded, still processing the overwhelming amount. "Yes, please," she replied, her voice slightly shaky.

The bank clerk counted out the money and placed it into several envelopes, sealing them carefully. Once done, they handed the envelopes to Kat, who took them with excitement.

Rushing back to the hospital, Kat scanned the hallways until she spotted Carmen leaving Miguel's room. A smile spread across her face, and she hurried towards her.

"Carmen!" Kat called out, relief evident in her voice. "I have it. I have the money."

Carmen's eyes lit up with hope as she looked down at the bag in Kat's hands, noticing the envelopes. She reached out, trembling slightly, her voice filled with anticipation. "You... you have it?"

Kat nodded, her smile widening. "Yes, there's thirty thousand in these envelopes," she said. "It's for Miguel's surgery."

Overwhelmed with gratitude, Carmen broke into tears, her hands shaking as she clutched the envelopes to her chest. She pulled Kat into a tight embrace, sobbing with relief and gratitude.

Kat hugged her back, holding her tight, and whispered, "You're welcome. It's going to be okay."

Carmen pulled away slightly, tears streaming down her face. "Thank you," she managed to choke out. "Thank you so much."

Kat smiled softly and lied, her voice gentle. "Johnny helped me gather some of the money too. Make sure Miguel knows that," she lied.

Carmen looked at her with slight confusion. "Johnny? How did he manage to get the money? I thought he was always broke."

Kat shrugged, keeping up the facade. "Well, he has his ways," she said with a hint of mystery in her voice.

Carmen hugged her again, tightly, whispering a heartfelt thank you. "With this surgery, Miguel might have a chance to walk again," she beamed.