XVIII ; Champagne Problems

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞
Because I dropped your hand while dancing
Left you out there standing
Crestfallen on the landing
Champagne problems
Your mom's ring in your pocket
My picture in your wallet
Your heart was glass, I dropped it
Champagne problems
𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

Sylwana watched the fauna of the ocean as Awa'atlu grew farther and farther away. Her heart was heavy, and she was so exhausted she could have slept for years but the adrenaline coursing through her was keeping her up. The small room she'd been tied up in had a singular, rounded see through thing through which she could watch the ocean life pass by. What had her father called it? She couldn't remember now. She thought of the forest, and her eyes burned. Would he have done the same? If he was alive, would he have sacrificed himself instead of her? No matter what, it seemed the future refused to let them live it together.

She took a deep breath in, and realised her mistake immediately. She coughed and sputtered as discreetly as she could. Human air was really weird. She had a few hours until she lost consciousness from breathing it in. They must have Na'vi air, she thought, because of Quaritch. Although he clearly wasn't enthusiastic about sharing.
Had she made a mistake? She didn't want to be here. She wanted to go home. She wanted to go to the forest. She thought of her siblings, and tears finally fell. She would have felt worse if it was one of them tied up here now. Still...

She wished she could be selfish for once. She and Neteyam had always had to make room for their siblings. The only time they could be selfish was when they snuck away early in the morning to ride their ikran around the floating mountains. Back before dawn, and nobody suspected a thing. It had been her favourite time of day.
Were they coming for her now? No, she reasoned, they need to heal their wounded and make a plan. She could be on the Txepìvam island. Just what exactly were they planning to use her for?

Her dad used to say, "They don't shoot hostages." He had been a soldier on both Earth and Eywa'eveng, so she trusted he knew what he was talking about. He'd led the Omatikaya out of many dire situations before.
Yeah, she thought to herself, in a weak attempt to calm herself down. She really couldn't use too much human air. You're a hostage. If they wanted you dead, they'd have a spectacle. But a small part of her wondered if the spectacle was for the Txepìvam.

Ao'nung hated the ocean.

He could barely see straight, what with his swollen eyes and lightheadedness from his tears. He'd never felt this way in his entire life. Both his family and the Sully family were in ruins. Ao'nung had watched Jake and Neytiri attempt to follow the demon ship, but it seemed to slip away below the surface of the water.

Ao'nung had lived in harmony with the ocean all his life, and yet he glowered at the gentle waves, who didn't even seem to realise what they had allowed earlier this morning. All the destruction and heartache they had caused.

Ao'nung hated the ocean.

But he needed it if he wanted to save Sylwana. Because while the ocean allowed her captives to escape, it could also protect her. It could save her.

"They won't shoot a hostage."

Jake Sully ignored the confused looks from the Metkayina warriors gathered.

"He says they will not harm her," Neytiri translated, but this only confused them more.
"Of course they will, they are demons!"
"We need to attack at once!"
"The warriors are prepared for this war!"
Shouts of agreement, promises to kill all Sky People, and other vows that were lost in the noise erupted in the marui that was generally used for communal meals. And gatherings like this. Of course, it had not been used for a war council in many moons. However, in Toruk Makto's eldest daughter's kidnapping, it seemed appropriate.

"No! No, listen!" Jake yelled. He had reverted back to Na'vi, which Ao'nung was glad of. Neytiri also seemed relieved. "They're gonna use her to get to me. That's what they want, right? Me," he seemed to deflate. "I'm going to head straight to them, and once they have me, Sylwana will be returned."
Neytiri engaged him in another heated discussion, one of many they'd had since Sylwana left. Their first reaction was anger, at Sylwana, at Lo'ak, and then at themselves.
"What is with the Sully's and self sacrifice," Ao'nung's mother muttered.
"Son," his father placed a hand on his shoulder. Ao'nung could see the pain and exhaustion in his eyes, but he simply said, "Go to bed."

Ao'nung only agreed when his parents promised him they would allow him to join them when they set to free Sylwana. He begrudgingly walked to his marui.

Tsireya sat up as soon as she heard him arriving.  Her eyes were red and her face was blotchy, and her voice scratched against her throat when she asked, "Well?"
"We are leaving, presumably tomorrow," he replied. He was surprised to see his voice sounded alright, albeit a tad wobbly. He sat on his hammock with a sigh. "I am sorry, brother," Tsireya whispered. He stared at her, waiting for her explanation.

"You love her," she said gently. Ao'nung felt his face get heated. "Slow down," he grumbled, moving his gaze to the floor. "Love is too soon."
Tsireya looked dubious, but she shrugged. "If you say so. Goodnight."
"Yeah. Goodnight."

Ao'nung lay awake, his gaze so fierce it could have blasted a hole in the wall of his marui. He was going to get her back, no matter what.

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

A/N : I'm sorry this is low-key a filler chapter 😭 I've been studying all week and I'm not gonna lie I only have a very faint idea of what's gonna happen next 🥲 Bare with me please 🙏