V ; I See Red

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞
Did you really think, I'd just forgive and forget, no
After catching you with her
Your blood should run cold, so cold
You, you two-timing, cheap-lying, wannabe
You're a fool, if you thought that I'd just let this go
𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

Sylwana had never felt such rage in her life. She didn't know what was happening to her; she rarely felt even the smallest ounce of anger. And now it was all she ever felt.

Ao'nung had led her baby brother outside the reef, leaving him abandoned in dangerous waters. Not only that, but he'd been out there for hours. She had little hope he was still alive.

"What's going on?" Tuk asked. She was sitting on the floor of their family marui, playing with a wooden ilu she'd been gifted by one of the younger Metkayina she's befriended, and a wooden hexapede she had brought from the forest. The Metkayina were sounding their horn, all available warriors being used in an attempt to recover Lo'ak.

"Nothing, baby," Sylwana reassured, nudging Tuk's ilu with her hexapede. "Some of their people are returning from a hunt, that is all."
Tuk accepted this easily, returning to her game. Sylwana couldn't bear this any longer. She hated not being able to do anything, being forced by her parents to sit here and watch Kiri and Tuk with Neteyam.
She had made a promise to herself and to her other half that she would protect her baby siblings. She didn't think she could live with herself if Lo'ak did not return.

Tuk shook the toy ilu in front of Sylwana's face. "Sister, you have to move the hexapede," she whined. Sylwana muttered an apology and continued to play with Tuk, though Lo'ak remained on her mind.

After playing with Tuk for some time, in which the ilu caught the hexapede and banished it from Awa'atlu, another horn sounded. Cries of "The forest boy has returned!" made Sylwana and Tuk forget all about their game, Neteyam about the gear he was mending and broke Kiri out of her reverie by the docks.

Grabbing Tuk's hand, Sylwana ran to where the islanders had gathered, her baby sister apologising for her as she pushed her way through the crowd. "Lo'ak!" She ignored her father and threw herself onto her brother, holding him tight and thanking the Great Mother for protecting him.

"Alright, yuey, come on," Jake murmured softly, hand on her shoulder. Sylwana reluctantly let go of Lo'ak, who smiled at her before glaring at Ao'nung. She understood how he felt.

Neytiri broke through the crowd, Kiri and Neteyam following soon after. "I pray for the strength that I will not pluck the eyeballs out of my youngest son," Neytiri swiped at Lo'ak, reminding Sylwana of how Neteyam would swipe at her when she teased him.

"No," Tonowari boomed. "My son knows better than to take him outside the reef." He placed his hand on Ao'nung's shoulder, forcing him down on one knee. "The blame is his."

The family stood in silence for a few moments. Sylwana knew her father had been trying to avoid this; the Olo'eyktan's family being the one at fault when they had been the ones to offer her family a home.

"Okay," he accepted after several moments.
"No," Lo'ak spoke up. "It is not Ao'nung's fault." Sylwana looked to her brother in confusion. She knew it was Ao'nung's fault, and obviously Lo'ak did too, so why was he lying?
"It was my idea. Ao'nung tried to talk me out of it. Really," he added, seeing Sylwana's look of disbelief.
"Alright, let's go." Jake gave Tonowari a tight lipped smile before moving away. Sylwana heard Ao'nung getting berated by Ronal as she followed her family.

"Dad, you told me to make friends with these kids, that's all I was doing," Lo'ak defended himself.
"You brought shame to this family," said Jake lowly, his voice causing Lo'ak's ears to press against his head. "Can I go now?" he asked, eyes toward the ground. Jake gave him a nod, and Lo'ak sulked off.