XIV ; West Coast (2)

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞
Down on the West Coast, I get this feeling like
It all could happen, that's why I'm leaving
You for the moment, you for the moment
Boy blue, yeah you
𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

The Sully family were in good spirits. Jake and Lo'ak were always off hunting together, Kiri and Tuk spent their days exploring the reef with Rotxo, and Spider was adapting to life in the village well. Neytiri and Sylwana were delighted when Ronal offered to continue their Tsakarem teachings alongside Tsireya. Sylwana suddenly remembered the top she'd begun making for Tsireya, before the Sky People ruined her life. She stayed up all night finishing it, making sure it was secure, adding last touches. She was exhausted come morning light, but it was worth it.

Neytiri had had the same idea, to thank Ronal for giving up her time to teach them. Of course, the hours were much shorter as Veewa was still young and needed attention at all times. Neytiri had crafted a traditional Omatikaya garb, used for holding babies when your hands are otherwise preoccupied. It was made from mangrove leaves rather than the large, thick leaves of the Omatikaya forest, but otherwise it was perfect. Neytiri smiled when she saw the top. "It is beautiful, ma'ite, well done," she said, giving Sylwana a kiss on the forehead.

They ate breakfast at Spider's lab, like they did every morning, before bidding the rest of their family goodbye and walking to Ronal's family marui. Her entire family were there, just finishing breakfast themselves, and greeted the two happily. Ao'nung winked at Sylwana when everyone else was looking away and she blushed and turned away from him. She presented Tsireya with the top excitedly.

"Oh, Sylwana, it's beautiful, you really did not have to!" Tsireya squealed in excitement, examining the top in her hands before jumping on top of Sylwana.
"No, I wanted to. You are a good friend," Sylwana mumbled, struggling to breathe as Tsireya squeezed her tightly.
Ao'nung and Tonowari left, as Ao'nung was now a warrior, he could accompany his father on official meetings. He proudly put on his warriors garb and walked out behind his father, his chin held high.

"The lessons today will be cut short," Ronal warned them, her shoulders fitted with her baby strap and Veewa settled snugly against her back. "The tulkun are returning."

The lesson was very different to her grandmothers, as Ronal was a stricter and no nonsense teacher. The Metkayina also had different traditions and ceremonies and Sylwana and her mother continuously got them mixed up with the Omatikaya rituals they were so used to.
Ronal was in the middle of a procedure to be used if one were to brush against toxic corals found only outside the reef when a loud horn sounded. Ronal looked like the sound had pained her. Tsireya, however, jumped in excitement and rushed out to see the large crowd of tulkun entering the reef. She then helped her mother stand, gave her a kiss on the cheek, and ran out to find her spirit sister. Sylwana suddenly remembered that Ronal's spirit sister had died, and the atmosphere became tense. Neytiri shared the same pained expression as Ronal.

"Go, child," Ronal urged her, her hand placed over her heart, "your mother and I will continue lessons." Neytiri nodded and ushered Sylwana out of the marui. Confused, Sylwana began walking slowly in no particular direction. The tulkun were crowding the waters, with Metkayina jumping into the waters with loud exclamations of glee. Unlike last year, when the villages joy had been contagious, Sylwana felt the opposite. Shouts of "my spirit brother!" caused pain to flash across her heart and the beaming, happy face of her brother pop into her head and refuse to leave. She needed an escape, she needed... Ao'nung. He would be with his spirit brother, Aweng, but surely he wouldn't mind... she joined them last year...