A Promise

Hana was born in a rich family. That gave her many many advantages. She could have three abundant meals a day, play on all the expensive consoles and even swim in her own private pool. But was it really all that worth it, if in exchange of that, her parents didn't care for her? Was it worth it, if she nearly daily ran away to go stay at Dasom's or Sihoo's house, because at least their parents treated her well?

Hana's parents did care for her, or at least pretend to, until she said that one particular thing.

"I want to become a professional artist."

"How do you want to keep the money in the family if you plan to spend the rest of your life making shitty drawings and selling them to barely afford bread with that money?"

Words from her mom.

These arguments seemed endless.

Then, her dad intervened.

"If you really want to live that life, then marry a rich man."

Hana, at this point, was helpless and only had eyes for her artist career. "I'll do that, if that's what you want. I promise."

Hana promised that to her parents. They said that if she broke the rule or couldn't find a rich man, they'd have to plan an arranged marriage.

But now, Hana was free to take any career she wanted. She never really had feelings for anyone, but her natural charms made people fall for her very easily. If she finds a rich man, then she just has to flirt a bit, make sure the relationship is stable, then she'll have kept the promise.

-

Mun went to sit on a bench on the campus. He enjoyed his coffee and the donut. It was actually pretty good. Not the best donut in the world and for sure not worth all the complications, but he wouldn't throw it away or anything.

He turned his phone on to check his notifications on Webtoon. People really loved his new chapter.

"Territory" is a story about a group of people who were granted superpowers. Their job is to summon hungry evil spirits who possess people. They're helped by guardians of Yung, Yung being the place between life and afterlife.

Mun scrolled down through the notifications. Normally, he would always see that one user comment a lot, but they haven't read the chapter yet. Were they busy? They have always been first no matter what, even before Juyeon and Ungmin.

-

Dasom was trying to calm Hana down as the woman was mumbling not so nice words to that man who took her donut. "How can such a handsome guy be so selfish?"

As the two sat down at a table, Hana jolted up and gasped. "What is it now?..." Dasom mumbled as she saw her friend grab her phone. "I need to read the new chapter of Territory. I got the notification this morning but I was too stressed over what I should wear on first day of art school that I–"

Dasom cut her off. "Territory; isn't that the webcomic you've been hyperfixating on ever since the first chapter came out?"

Hana nodded frantically. "Yes, yes!"

She opened the page and started reading, with Dasom eyeing with curiosity.

-

About 20 minutes go by and Mun heard a general announcement coming from the speakers. The announcement explained where the newly arrived students have to go based on their courses.

"...All newly arrived art students can head to the art department's main hall. If you're lost, be sure to look out for maps all around the campus or ask other students around."