Baby Steps

Baby Steps

JOSIE'S HEART RACED in her ear's as they sped down the road. The woman on the gurney wailed in pain, taking a deep breath with each contraction.

"You are doing just fine Alyssa, we are almost there." Josie reasure's her, she pant's with a painful smile. She looks up at Eddie, he continues to monitor her heart rate.His brown eyes meet her own, he makes a gesture with his hands, Keep talking, she nods her head.

"Hey! Hey do you have any name's picked out?" Josie wonder's, Alyssa groan's.

"We don't know...ahh." She groaned as she tried to speak, Josie nodded. "Alright that's it, just breathe." She soothes her, she huffs.

"We didn't wanna know, he wanted to be surprised." Alyssa explain's, Josie smirks at her explanation.

"Isn't it a surprise just to know you're pregnant?" Josie asked her with a chuckle, Alyssa chuckled softly. "You should have seen him when I told him I was." She tells her.

"What about?" Alyssa grit's her teeth,

"What about you two?" She wonder's, Josie raises a brow at her questions. The woman look's between the two paramedic's. "You guys have kids?"

"Uh unless you count a plant then no." Josie say's. Alyssa looked unamused, she clear's her throat eyeing Eddie to continue their conversation.

"I do, a son." He says to her.

"How old is he?" Alyssa wonder's. He quickly checked her morphine bag, and her heart monitor. "Seven." He answers.

"How did you know...what to name him?" She asks him, Eddie blink's puzzled.

"I didn't know." He says, she looked at him confused.

"My wife and I couldn't agree on a name, we went back and forth on name's. We thought we were never gonna figure it out." Eddie admits to her.

"Then he was here, and we named him Christopher." Eddie says to her, she chuckled through her pain. Josie smiled softly at their interactions.

"Once you meet them you will know." He says to her, her brown eyes filled with tears. She sniffled as she began to cry. Josie quickly got to her side.

"Hey Hey you're okay, we are almost there." Josie reassures her. With tears in her eye she shook her head. "I can't do this." She cries.

"I don't know what I'm doing." Alyssa admit's to her. She grit her teeth as another contraction broke through her again. Josie take's her hand in her own.

"What if I mess up this kid?" Alyssa worrie's, Josie shake's her head. "Hey, listen to me." She says to her in a kind voice.

"You are not going to mess this kid up, right now you are doing the best thing for them." Josie tells her. She sniffles.

"And what is that?" Alyssa asks her. Eddie glanced between the two women, the ebony haired girl smiled.