Chapter Twenty

I've been stood here for 53 minutes, scrubbing at my bloodied hands slowly. Mindlessly.

It's Christmas morning. I don't feel an ounce of excitement or joy though. To be honest, I don't really feel anything at all right now.

My hands and arms are covered in jagged cuts that I got from desperately trying to fix my shattered phone.

It didn't work. The broken pieces of my phone are still scattered across my bedroom floor, alongside the pieces of my shattered heart.

After breaking my phone, I'd passed out on the floor sobbing. I'd never say it out loud, but maybe a part of me had wished that I'd simply never wake back up and not have to deal with my emotions.

Nothing feels right.

Nothing feels real.

I hope none of this is real. I really, really hope that none of this is really. Maybe I actually went insane after that mission all those years ago. Then, maybe none of this is real.

But I know it is.

____________

When I eventually leave the bathroom, the time is 08:12.

The rest of our apartment is dark and still. Too still for Christmas morning. Every other Christmas in this apartment has been full of laughter and happiness. Megumi and Tsumiki being excited to open their presents and waking me and Gojo up at ungodly hours of the morning. Christmas music. The faint sound of the oven roasting the food that we almost always burn. Too distracted by the fun and presents to remember to take the food out when we meant to. Stupid, cheesy Christmas jokes that Gojo won't stop reading and giggling over like they're the funniest things in the world.

But this year, it's silent.

As I'm walking back to my room, I pause outside Gojo's room before gently knocking on the door. I want to check on him, there's no way that he's okay after yesterday.

There's no reply so I creak the door open and peer inside, "Satoru?"

My voice is weak as I speak, probably because of all of the crying.

Gojo's room is empty, his bed clearly hasn't been slept in and there's no sign of Gojo. I step into his room, scanning it to see if Gojo actually is in here somewhere.

He's definitely not in here. So where is he?

I leave the room and head over to the living room. It's dark but the corner is lit up by the colourful lights strung around the Christmas tree. It's messily decorated. Usually, Tsumiki would pick out the ornaments and the four of us would decorate the tree together And Megumi would always yell at Gojo and me if we didn't keep the tree organised.

But obviously, this year, Tsumiki isn't here and Megumi didn't feel like decorating with my and Gojo.

It's Megumi's first Christmas without Tsumiki, and hopefully the only one he'll have to spend without her. We'll get her back, break her curse.

As I stand in the darkness of the room, I hear the front door open and I quickly turn around to see who it is.

Gojo closes the door behind him, he's not wearing his blindfold or sunglasses so his bloodshot eyes are exposed and the swollen redness under his eyes. He looks unsteady, the after effects of using his cursed technique too much.

"Where have you been Satoru?" I ask, my voice still quiet and weak.

He looks down at me and when he speaks his voice is raw and hoarse, as if he's been shouting, "Sorry. I should have told you that I was going somewhere."