Chapter Seventeen

I pull my headphones off of my head and leave them wrapped around my neck. The train is busy and I'm starting to regret not just getting Ijichi to drive me to the old hospital.

There's a first grade curse there, I was meant to be teaching the first years with Gojo but Yaga sent me off on this mission instead because it was important.

I rest my head on my hand and look down at my phone. It's noisy and I'm planning on putting my headphones back on the second I hear the speaker announce where we are so I know how much longer I have to wait for my stop.

No one is sat on the few seats near me but a large group of people have just flooded into the train and I know that there's not much space left on the train.

A few girls in their early twenties sit down on the seats by me. The girl in the seat next to me has long brown hair, wide brown eyes and a friendly look to her, she smiles at me as she sits down before continuing the conversation with her friends.

"And then he bought me some flowers!"

Her friends roll their eyes and one of them speaks, "So you're gonna forgive him just like that?"

"Well it's clear he's sorry, and I love him so-"

I'm just about to put my headphones back on when I hear her other friend speak, "Honestly Haibara, you need to dump that guy."

My eyes widen and I freeze. Haibara?

Now that I think about it Haibara did mention having a little sister, and this girl looks about the right age and looks similar to him. Is it really his sister though?

I must have looked visibly shocked because the girl gives me a worried look and pauses the conversation with her friends, "Are you alright?"

I attempt to regain my composure and nod, "Oh, urm, yes, thank you," I hesitate for a moment before speaking again, "Do you, um have a brother my any chance?"

The second I ask the question I regret it. Why did I feel the need to ask?

She sucks in a sharp breath and she seems to be upset but she still smiles kindly at me, "Yes. Well, I did. He passed away. Did you know him?"

When I nod, her eyes widen slightly, "Could I speak to you over there for a moment?" She points towards an empty area in the train and when I nod she looks back at her friends, "One second. I'll be right back."

We walk over to where the train is quiet and she begins speaking, her tone hopeful, "How did you know Yu?"

"I went to the same school as him," I don't mention any more, I don't remember if Haibara mentioned is she knew about Jujutsu or not, "I was in the year above him."

"Wait so you're a jujutsu sorcerer?" she seems surprised and even more hopeful than before.

"Yes," I reply, "Did Haibara tell you about all of that then?"

"I can see curses. But Yu didn't want me getting involved in Jujutsu, he said he wanted to protect me from getting hurt by curses," she gives me a mournful smile.

I give her a sad look, "I'm really sorry about what happened to him."

"Please don't apologise. It's not like it's your fault," she insists. She's just as kind as her brother was. "I was hoping you could tell me more about what actually happened to him. I'm not registered as a jujutsu user so nobody told me anything about what happened and I couldn't get any information. All I know is that he stopped calling me and stopped visiting. I knew Yu would never do that for no reason so I searched for information but all I could find out was that he was dead. I want to know what happened to my big brother."