Chapter Ten

Amber Young
Orphic

"Let's go home," Jennifer Alcado said in what Amber found to be the most unsettling tone. Maybe normal for any loving mother but Adrian's mother was nothing like that.

Amber sat, still open to the page she was reading when Jennifer appeared. Adrian stood pale and shocked like a deer in the headlights, more so than everyone else.

"Home?" He finally said.

"Yes. Let's go back. I'll explain everything back at home," she said to him.

"No, tell me here," he said sternly.

She shook her head. "I can explain when we're back."

"Where is dad?" he asked. "Does he know about all of this?"

"Adrian," she said, her tone much sharper.

He stared at her for an eternity. "When you say we, you mean, you and me?" It was silent for a few moments.

"We'll come back for everyone else after."

Amber stared at Adrian, trying to read his face but for once, she was stumped. She just wanted to yell, don't you dare fucking leave us.

"That is bull," he responded, finally regaining his composure. "You're lying."

"You really want to stay here with these kids? You're choosing an Olivarius boy over me, your mother?"

"You seem to have a room in an Olivarius castle where the Olivarius bloodline lived, so you tell me what your issue is?"

Amber couldn't see Jennifer's face but she could see Adrian's and he didn't look like he was going to back down easily. It was strange to see him talk back to his mother.

"You don't have an issue with the Olivarius bloodline, you have an issue with Paisley Olivarius," Amber stated. She herself even shocked she had said that out loud.

"You stupid girl, stop chiming in."

She's mad because I'm hitting the nail on the head.

Sion and Judyta looked more and more nervous the more Amber spoke but she kept pressing.

"You killed her and that's why you couldn't find the stones, she was hiding them from you. Was Paisley a part of the Viridis?"

Jennifer stood, staring at Amber, enraged. Amber was praying there was no magic ability for Jennifer to smite her on the spot. Amber could easily read her expression though. She was angry but panicking. What does she do in this situation? Her only son is the enemy.

Amber decided that if Jennifer could kill her, she would've already, so Amber continued to press more.

"You are from the Niveous kingdom, why are you a part of the Efferus? Paisley seemed to be a part of Viridis. The Olivarius family took you in because you were the daughter, theirs wasn't and the Niveous kingdom killed them so you killed Paisley as revenge."

"No, that is not what happened," Jennifer said. "I didn't kill Paisley for revenge." She sighed, letting her panic fall. Am I wrong? I must be. "You need more research and basis before you go throwing incorrect accusations, how did you go to Bellātor as an Orphic?"  Jennifer turned to her son. "Adrian I'm going to need you to come with me."

He stood staring at her.

She sighed and after a minute or two passed she said, "very well. Unitatis."

Like that she was gone. First one to speak is Sebastian. "Okay so motherfucker killed my mom."

Adrian spun around, already fumbling to apologise. Can you even apologise for something like that?