Chapter 8: MSG

Haley checked her appearance in the hall mirror for about the tenth time.

Sparkly top, check. Jeans, check. Tennis shoes, comfortable for standing for the next few hours, check.

She'd put her abundant hair into a French braid so it would stay out of her face while she sang and danced, as she assumed she would. She was a fan of Luc's music, and knew most of his stuff.

She received a text letting her know the car was downstairs waiting for her.

One of her roommates, Joanie, was sitting in the living room with tea. She looked at Haley and shook her head.

"I can't believe you got so lucky," she said. She took in Haley's form from head to toe. "You sure he doesn't just want to get with you? That this isn't a very classy come on?"

"I can't tell you how I know, but yeah, I'm sure this isn't a classy come on," Haley responded with a smile.

"What is it? Is he gay? Is that it?" Joanie asked, eyes wide with interest. "Come on, give a girl a little info, please?" she wheedled.

"No, he's not gay," Haley replied, laughing. "He just wants to be friends, that's it." She put on a little lip gloss. "Anyway, gotta dash, see you later."

"Right," Joanie said drily. "Maybe tomorrow?"

"Maybe, who knows?" And Haley was out the door, dashing to the elevator to go downstairs.

The black SUV idled at the curb, looking like a huge, sleek, panther. The driver stood next to the back door, opening it for her when she appeared on the stoop.

"Good evening, Ms. Carter," he said politely. He was built like a linebacker, clad in a very large suit. "My name is Gomez, and I'll be your driver tonight."

"Hi, Gomez, nice to meet you," Haley responded, wondering if this was proper protocol when meeting one's driver.

He got behind the wheel and pulled smoothly into traffic, acting like he always came to this part of Manhattan to pick people up. It was already dark, a chilly May evening,

Haley sat back to enjoy the ride, watching lower Manhattan glide by.

The inside of the car was luxurious and plush, with a small refrigerator containing water and small bottles of champagne should the urge strike her. Haley didn't drink very often, and decided to hold off on the alcohol.

She thought about her family back in Kentucky, and how disbelieving they'd be if they could see her. Her church had just gotten indoor plumbing when she was four or five; Carter's Hollow pretty much defined "rural." Her family couldn't comprehend the fact that she lived in New York City, there was no way they'd be able to wrap their heads around the idea of her going to a rock concert at Madison Square Garden in a private car.

Speaking of which, they'd arrived in front of the iconic domed building, and Gomez was getting out to open her door for her.

"Thanks, Gomez," she called, wondering if she was supposed to tip him or what. She guessed probably not, since she wasn't the one paying him in the first place. She went to Will Call and asked for her ticket, and they called someone on a walkie talkie to come and escort her to her place.

Haley watched everything with interest, never having been to a concert before. The place was a hive of activity, with at least three merch booths she could see from where she was. The concert attendees were decked out in their sparkly best, many sporting feather boas and shirts from previous Luc concerts.

"Hi!" The voice made Haley jump. "I'm Bobbie, I'm going to take you where you need to go, okay? Follow me."

First she gave Haley a laminate to wear around her neck. It had the date, name of the tour and location on one side, and the acronym "VIP" on the other side.