Two - Like Mother Like Daughter

Start from the beginning

"Pezzy, we have to go see what's happening." The look of determination set on Droid's face nearly made Pezzy say 'alright, let's go' on the spot. But he stopped himself before that happened, wanting answers.

"No. No, we can't just stroll up to a bunch of zombies!" Pezzy exclaimed, completely baffled that Droid would suggest going towards the things that they've been trying to avoid and not die from.

"I know you know there could be someone there, a person. They could be in trouble. We need to help." Without waiting for an answer Droid turned around, began walking again in the direction. Pezzy stood still for a moment, thinking.

Finally he sighed just as Droid gave him a quick glance over his shoulder while he kept his pace. "Fucking hell." He muttered.

He jogged to keep up with Droid's determined pace, "Alright well, we can't just show up. It could be a trap. Or- or more than we can handle, Droid. We need a plan."

A wail echoed around them. High-pitched and scared. A child.

Droid's steps became faster, and Pezzy followed suit.

"How do you want to do this?" Droid asked, his hand already reaching up behind him for the handle of the metal bat he kept sticking out the top of his backpack. He slipped it out with ease. At this point it was pretty much muscle memory. In his other hand he held a small kitchen knife.

"Okay," Pezzy began, slipping his own switchblade out from his pants pocket and flipping it open. His hands shook a little, but he kept it well hidden. Not that Droid's attention was on him right now anyway. "We'll get a look at the situation first. If that person, or the people, if they have already been bitten, we turn back and run. There's no point in saving them if they're basically already done for."

At first Droid seemed hesitant, not enjoying the thought of leaving an unfortunate soul behind. But nevertheless, he nodded. Pezzy jogged up a bit to match Droid's speed.

"If they can be saved, then... th-then, uh-uhm.." Pezzy stuttered, looking down. Droid glanced at him for a second, frowning. He felt bad, Pezzy was doing his best to keep the both of them alive. So he spoke for him.

"If we can save them, if we have the chance to, we will try our damned hardest." He reassured, reciting the exact words they had discussed about a month back. Pezzy picked his head to face him, not quite meeting his eyes. Droid, however, shed a small smile. "Don't worry, I understand your plan, I know how it all goes. Stay safe, we'll watch each others' backs so no need to turn around to watch your own." His small smile turned into a grin. "And hope for the fucking best."

At that, Pezzy brought his eyes to glance at Droid's and mirrored Droid's grin as he looked back in front of him. Sure it wasn't the best plan. Sure it might get them killed someday. But they've made it this far battling the things that ended this world, what could possibly change that?

The wails and screams grew incredibly closer as they walked. Each shout and screech sent shivers down Pezzy's back in fear. Each step closer made his body plead and scream to turn back and run. But he trusted Droid's instinct and opinion. They could do this.

A break through the trees made them catch glimpses of what they were about to see in full. Except Pezzy only briefly saw one person. The little girl, who still screamed, and what she screamed made his heart drop a little further.

"MAMA!"

Grunts and desperate shouts were announced in return to her pleads, as she repeatedly cried at what had to have been her mother. Rustling was heard just over the ledge that the child stood near, and Pezzy and Droid hid behind trees to do as they planned, get a good look at what they're dealing with.