No Time for Goodbyes

She told us a couple hours later that the map wouldn't be done until nightfall so we had to stay the night. After being fed and given baths, we were given a room to sleep in. Unfortunately, they insisted on having us sleep in the same bed. Nav came back earlier in the day and told us that it was for the best. If someone tried to kill us in our sleep, it was better to be together. Needless to say, I was horrified by the prospect but obeyed. I fidgeted awkwardly while Van thanked Demetria for the accommodations. When she left, he turned around and started taking off his armor. My eyes followed his movements despite my struggle to tear them away.

"Nelly?" my eyes snapped up to see him looking at me with amusement, "Oh, man, you were so lying when you said I wasn't hot."

I rolled my eyes, ignoring my embarrassment, and muttered, "That sure did get to you."

"I'm vain," he admitted as if it wasn't a big deal. He climbed into bed and settled under the covers, sighing happily. "This is so much better than leaves and sand."

I eyed him nervously. "You do know that you're getting into bed with a gay guy, right?"

He shrugged, "You're too much of a bitch to do anything anyway."

I frowned even though he was right, "I'm really starting to hate you and Nav."

He just chuckled quietly.

Seeing that he was pretty much asleep, I undid my robe and folded it neatly, putting it on the floor beside my bed. Underneath it, I was wearing a thin white t-shirt and a black pair of cotton pants with a hole in the back to let out my tail. I smiled briefly at my limp silver tail. I hesitated a moment before stroking it. A hazy flood of pleasure flowed me, eliciting a quiet moan from me. I froze, worried that Van had heard. I glanced over and yelped when I say him staring right at me with lidded emerald eyes.

"You know," he bit his lip, "That's actually pretty hot."

My face was aflame with embarrassment. I couldn't even stutter out a reply.

He noticed my speechlessness and said, "It was just a compliment, calm down," he turned around, "Good night."

"G-good n-night."

I crawled into bed and hoped my blush would subside at some point.

When I woke up the next morning, I instinctively knew that something was missing. My mind wasn't even fully functioning yet but I jumped out of bed, sniffing the air, looking for a scent. A scent like a forest after a thunderstorm, woodsy and spiking with energy. I followed the scent out the tent and down to the center of the village, where the village people met to talk and play. It was a bon fire set up with benches surround a fire pit. A boar was being roasted on the spit, slowly spinning but even the smell of roasted meat couldn't distract me. I found the source of the woodsy scent, sitting on the bench next to Demetria, smiling at me.

A whimper escaped me as I rolled myself into his side and tried to go back to sleep.

"Nelly," Van shook me, trying to stop me from going back to sleep, "Get up."

I whimpered again and snuggled closer. Then reality hit me and I jumped back, "Sorry, sorry, sorry, I don't know what I was thinking."

Van chuckled and shook his head, "No but Demetria does. She said that she was trying to test your wolf."

"My wolf?" I echoed.

Demetria nodded, "You seemed to not believe me when I told you that your wolf will awaken on your journey so I decided to test it. You have forged a connection with Van that is similar to connections between mates so when your wolf discovered that Van was absent, he took over and found Van so he could rest easy once more."

"Mates?" Van questioned.

"As in significant other," she explained, "He is dependent of you just as he will be of his mate. Unless you are his mate, you are a place-holder until his real mate comes along so prepare for his wolf to be very affectionate and possessive of you."

"Oh," he tossed me a weird look, "Okay."

I, on the other hand, was hoping no noticed the blotchy red spots on my checks. She was basically telling him that I'm going to be a clingy girlfriend every so often. Sure, it'll be totally against my will but it'd still be embarrassing.

"There's no reason to be embarrassed," Demetria comforted me, "It happens all the time with hybrids, especially teenagers."

"Right," I clear my throat awkwardly, "So how is the map going?"

"It should be ready soon," she assured me, "When you finish eating, we will replenish your supplies and let you go upon your way."

"Thank you so much, Demetria," I reached over Van and squeezed her hand, "You have no idea how much this means to us. You've helped us so much."

"It is absolutely nothing, young one," she showered me in a motherly smile, "It is an honor to help one who has been chosen by the gods. There is a reason why we rarely meet those from the mainland. Only a select few will ever step foot on both Titan's Isle and mainland."

"Why is that?" Van asked.

Her smile became quiet and mysterious, "You will find the answer on your journey."

After that ominous answer, the food was declared ready and we ate. It was strange how open the village people were. Kids were gawked my tails and were excited to show me theirs since our tails were so different. I snorted and laughed when a little red headed girl with orange ears asked when Van's tail was at. Van, however, was indignant and lectured her about the difference between elementals and hybrids. The village people sort of gathered around him as he spoke. Demetria explained to me that no many villagers left the village other than those who became traders and traveled. Some species didn't approve of others and hostility arose when the species mixed. For the sheltered villagers, it was safer to stay at home, away from the strife of city life.

Once the map was done, we dressed and Demetria sat down with us in the meeting tent to help us plan our next move.

"So you need to go to the Elven Earth Temple?" She hummed over the map, "Well, I am not very acquainted with the Elven temples so your best bet would to be to visit an Elven city to ask which is which. The only problem is, elves aren't the most," she trailed off then concluded reluctantly, "Kind."

"I think we can convince them," Van said confidently. I didn't know what type of convincing he had in mind but I didn't like it.

She glanced him with pursed lips, "You should visit the City of Grimm. You will find many travelers within pubs, some that may know more of Elven temples than I do. I advise you to trust no one but each other though. Vulgar characters visit pubs and fights aren't uncommon."

A look at the yellow-tinted map told me that the City of Grimm was the closest city. The words were written in small gothic letters above a red star. The map used simple symbols to show different landscapes such as forests and deserts while not neglecting to give their name. A castle sat in the corner of the map, in the water. When I asked what it was, Demetria shook her head and ushered the both of us out the door.

She handed the both of us leather satchels with food and water contained in both. "You should go now while you still have much daylight," she advised us gravely, "Be careful on your way and remember, trust each other. Do not let temptation lead you astray."

Van and I glanced at each other and nodded firmly.

"Thank you, Demetria," Van said sincerely.

"No, thank you for visiting our small village," she smiled, "It was an honor to meet you Van. And you, Nelly." She kissed my cheek. "Now, go. There is no time for goodbye."