Chapter 17 - Gurudhakshina

The patriarchs of the Kuru dynasty were in a dilemma of choosing who would be the next Yuvraj.

Tiasha saw the advisers of the Sabha, Mahamahim Bhishma, Vidur, King Dhritarashtra and surprisingly Gandhara Raj Shakuni having a heated conversation about the heirloom issue.

All the Rajkumars sat in the Sabha just watching as mere observers.

King Dhritarashtra and Gandhar Raj wanted Duryodhan to have the throne.

While Mahamantri Vidur and Mahamahim Bhishma wanted to make Yudhishthira the next Yuvraj and in future the next king.

-"Maharaj Dhritarashtra is the current king of Hastinapur, it's only fair that his eldest should ascend the throne." Shakuni said in a sugar-coated voice.

-"You are forgetting that King Dhritarashtra was given the throne when Pandu entered the woods. Besides Yudhishthira is the oldest of them all. It's his right."

The argument kept on going. Tiasha was feeling frustrated. She was struggling to maintain a straight face and hide her irritation. These people are fighting over the throne and kingdom. But what about the people who live in this kingdom do they even care about them? 

She looked at the Pandavas. Yudhishthira had his head down while the other ones were glaring at the Kauravas.

The Kauravas were also glaring back except for Duryodhan. Her Sakha was engaged in a deep conversation with Angaraj. He would be leaving for his new kingdom within a few days. Not like it was a bad thing but Tiasha was a little sad that she would not be able to see his face every day.

-"Pranam Maharaj Dhritarashtra, Pranam Kuru Sabha." Guru Drona announced his presence greeting the king and the others in the Sabha.

Everybody's attention turned to Rajguru. Drona stood in the middle of the court with folded hands.

The Kuru Rajkumars immediately bowed to show respect to their Guru Dev.

Mahamahim Bhishma first frowned and then masked it with a smile, "Pranam Guru Drona, what brings you here to the royal court?"

-"I heard that you are having a problem deciding who is going to be the next Yuvraj of Hastinapur?"

Bhishma nodded.

-"None of the Rajkumars are allegeable to become Yuvraj."

Everyone present in the court looked at Drona as if he had grown two heads.

Shakuni said, "We don't understand the meaning of your words Guru Drona, and you a teacher what do you have to do with the royal matters of Hastinapur?" irritation was evident in his voice.

Shakuni always manages somehow to get on Tiasha's nerves. 'You are in no position to tell him that. What do you have to do with the matters of Hastinapur? Guru Drona was the teacher of the Rajkumars at least we know he wishes well.' Tiasha thought and Vidur voiced her thoughts.

-"Same goes with you as well Gandhar Raj, we don't see anything that has you getting involved in the royal matters of Hastinapur."

-"It does involve me Mahamantri, my sister is your Kulabadhu, and this is her son, my nephew we are talking about."

Dhritarashtra interrupted the two and asked Drona, "What do you mean guru Drona ?"

Shakuni and Vidur glared at each other before sitting down.

-"What I mean is that kuru Sabha cannot have a Yuvraj until the Rajkumar's are free from guru Rin. They must pay my Gurudhakshina before they enter the rajniti of aryavarth." Drona smirked.