Chapter Eight

Their footsteps could be heard across the dim corridor. The sound of water dripping from a leak pipe really added the ambiance here. Especially the cockroaches crawling around the walls. This part of the museum was kind of disgusting, Even so, it's not worse from what Handy had experience as a repairman.

The instant they made it to the door, They got startled when they heard a ringtone coming from Shifty's pocket. Shifty franticly reached it in and almost kept slipping his phone from his palms until he got a firm grip to it. The pain still stings as he carried to endure his hand injuries.

Shifty answered the incoming call, " What?" He said in annoyed. Handy stood silently as he pried onto the phone call." Dude Lammy's been crying from your sudden disappearance. Where are you?" Lifty voice came from the other side of the line. Right, Shifty had forgotten to inform them while they were away. " Not at the apartment if that's what you're expecting. Look, you called me at a bad timing here."

" And i'm having a fiasco here. I've been dealing with a damn pickle while you were gone." His brother said. Shifty blinks, " A what now?"

" I don't know what i ate this morning but i encountered a sentient pickle."

Shifty was quiet and sighed, " You're probably on shrooms again. It happens Lifty." It took his twin a moment to get back to the conversation. Then he asked Shifty a normal question, something that's not out of the ordinary, " Anyway are you getting that handcuff off?"

Shifty slowly glanced at Handy who was leaning beside the door, " No, but remember the vase we stole?" He averted his stare afterwards, " Ah, the one you lost it from that embarrassing fall?" Lifty attempted to suppress his laugh. Handy saw his cheeks turned red. " Don't even try to ridicule me for the next few days with this Lifty." He tried not to shout at the phone at this point.

A few giggle escaped from the other line, " Fat chance."  While he was on the phone, Handy decided to opened the door ajar. " Whatever. I'm getting it back. It's in the museum." Shifty said as Handy peeked through the gapping door.

" By yourself?"

He held his gaze onto Handy who got quickly bored hearing their call, " Uh... yeah..." He responded slowly. Unsure if that was necessary to lie. " You- by yourself? Am i hearing this right?" Lifty rephrased it incredulously.

Shifty was starting to get fed up with his brother, " Yes. I got to go now." Before he hangs up, he quietly spoke into the phone, hoping Handy couldn't hear what he's about to say next, " Also tell Lammy i said sorry if that'll make her stop whining."

He didn't even let Lifty reply as he already ended the call. Quickly, he shoved it back into his pocket and went near his partner. He peered over his hard hat the second time, curious what Handy's been looking at. They have the view of the backstage. Several items were placed in rows waiting to be offer as sales to the crowd of people. " Strange, not a security in sight." Shifty said, startling the beaver. Shortly after, Handy elbowed him in the stomach out of instinct. Shifty stepped away and hit the wall softly, " Owh!"

He rested against the wall, waiting for Handy to respond. Handy simply glanced back and apologized dismissively, " Personal space can you?" he continue to peek through the gapping door. He heard Shifty muttering in the background before stepping forward again, this time, he kept a distance away from getting elbowed the second time. Handy gazed to Shifty once more, " You said you already set up a diversion right?"

The one in handcuff nodded and removed his fedora momentarily. Though it's difficult to see in this horrible corridor, Handy noticed a scar from Shifty's left side of his head. It only took a second for Shifty to pull out of what seem to be a small device. With the device in his injured palms, Shifty wore his fedora again, with slight difficulty. Concealing the scar that no one probably knew about.