Chapter 12

Chapter XII

**Trent**

"Trent!" Miki's smooth, charming voice chimes out. "Come here, please,"

I put down the bottle of strange sparkling blue goo and push the curtain aside. "Yes Miki?" I ask quietly, as though not to disrupt her work.

She tosses her sleek black hair behind her ears and turns and looks at me with those incredible jade eyes. "How is your work coming along Trent? Did you finish your assignment?" she asks as her heels click across the stone floor of the cave as she investigate numerous spell and potion books.

"No Miki," I adress her firmly.

"Trent, as my apprentice, I expect to see hard work," she says wistfully.

"I understand. I have just been distracted," I tell her worriedly.

"Unfortunately that is no excuse here. I am used to having young girls as apprentices. You are the first boy. I understand that warlock training is scarce and I am the only one you could turn to, but witch training is far easier. Please return to your duties."

Without another word, I turn around and walk back to my quarters. Felix, my baby griffon, looks up at me as I step towards my desk. I acknowlege his observance and throw some of his meat down for him. He catches it in his beak and swallows it down. He attempts to fly up to my desk, but fails for his wings are not developed fully. I reach down and scoop him up. I set him down and stroke his flame colored feathers. Felix squaks quietly as my fingers trace lines across his back. He then lays down and I return to work.

I grab the bottle of blue goo and grab the second bottle of a sea foam green, opaque liquid. I take the two and uncork them. A faint perfumed smell intoxicates the air. I cautiously add a small amount of each into my stirring bowl. I add the crushed rose powder and the extract of a bright pink flower. I promptly mix it together and pour it into a vial. I set it out with the other and wait for it to be complete.

"They are coming..." Miki whispers from her study. Curiously I slip out and look at her, examining her crystal ball. "They seek our help."

"Who?" I ask firmly as I approach her. She snaps her fingers and the ball goes blank. "Just some... felines and a wolf. They have a mortal with them. And a body," Miki says while she slides her crystal ball and pedestal away. "Prepare for the visitors," She says and her bold, red lips form a sleek, enchanting smirk.

**Alice**

I sit by the fire, scared and alone. My fingers were tightly clutched around a cup of warm water. The sun slowly dips into the dusk. The pain within me only lasts a second. I have grown so used to it that I don't even mind it anymore.

I have decided that tonight I will anounce my pregnancy. It is what is best for the group. They deserve to know.

The flames in the fire flicker with the cold wind. Footsteps crunch up from behind me and then I feel arms wrap around me. I inhale the scent of the figure around me. Austin.

"Alice, are you alright?" he says calmly. I turn and look at him.

"I'm fine," I lie. In reality, I felt a cold, sickly feeling in the pit of my stomach. I mean, of course I have been feeling that with the baby and all but this time it is different. It was more of regret. Regret for following Ashlynn to that house. Regret for letting Jason bite me. Regret for leaving the safety of the town I used to know so well. Regret for... everything. Now all I want is to be home. Even though I hated almost everything about home, I long to be back there.

"No you're not, Tiger."

"I know..." Tears begin to bubble over my eyes and drift down my cheeks.