Issue #3 - At The Bottom Of The Barrel

Comenzar desde el principio

"Good." Mother Wasp grinned. "Would anyone else like a chance for a reward?"

With those words the five glanced at each other, before all of them proceeded to stand up and nod. Mother Wasp nodded, crossing her arms.

"In one week, on Tuesday at 1:00, I need there to be a commotion at both North and South Stromford Facilities." Mother Wasp continued. "I don't care what you do as long as you draw attention."

She turned around, taking a step forward. She then paused, glancing over her shoulder and smirking. "Oh, by the way, if you dare to rat out me or this base..."

Her smirk turned into a vicious grin.

"...I heard that death from being repeatedly stung and smothered isn't that pleasant." She finished, turning back forwards and walking off.

Yep, got it. Understood.

I turned towards the other five, only to see all of them walking off with their own plans in mind. Three of them had grouped together in one group while the other two were in another.

Why did I expect anything different?

Well, shit. I need to cause a distraction at one of the locations while not getting captured. The hell am I, some one man army?

Well, the groups should be going for separate ones, right? And since it's at a specific time, as long as I do something and return I should be able to get my cash.

But still...ugh.

Stromford Facilities, huh? As you can tell from the name, it's a building that Stromford Industries, one of the bigger corporations around Champion City, owns. They do company stuff there, I don't really know the specifics.

If I remember right, they're the rivals of Waverson Corporation, though I don't know too much about stuff like that. Just a few things that I overhear from time to time.

Do I go to Davon again? See what info I can get from him? No, but I'm running low and if this doesn't pay off...

Well, he did give me the last information for free, so I still have that wad of cash. Guess I'll just have to see what I can get from that. This better pay off then, damn it.

I quickly made my way back to Waverson Hotel after a quick stop at my apartment, going through the whole long and annoying process to make it to Champion Club, where Davon should hopefully be at this time.

Man, thank goodness I eavesdropped on that one dude. I guess I got something out of the Cromwell incident after all.

I entered Club Champion, quickly going to Davon's corner to luckily find that he was there. No one was sitting with him at the moment, so I took the opportunity to grab the seat across from him.

"Edward, been a while." He smirked. "The new job going well? This is a new record."

"It's not going bad, at least." I replied. "How much about Stromwell Facilities can I get with this much?"

I pulled out the wad of cash I grabbed from my apartment, placing it on the table. He picked it up, did a quick thumb through, and then placed it back down.

"A decent amount." He stated. "But it's going to only be for one of the two."

"Do I get more with one or the other?" I questioned.

"Same." He replied. "So, which will it be?"

Does it matter? Well, I suppose that North is a little closer to the base. Meaning escape may be a little easier. Might as well, I suppose.

"North." I stated.

He grinned. "Right then. Whatcha want to know?"

"What's the purpose of the building?" I questioned.

"The purpose?" He replied. "Research and storage."

Research, huh...

"What's security like?" I asked.

"Cameras all over inside, while outside there's only one at the back and one at the entrance." Davon spoke. "Guards are decently equipped. Bullet-proof vest, taser, and guns. A few patrol outside while the rest patrol inside."

"How many?" I wondered.

"25." He declared.

25?! That many?!

"Any specifics you can give about the patrols?" I continued.

"Each guard stays on their floor." Davon stated. "There's five per floor plus five outside."

"So there's four floors then." I concluded.

"Four plus a basement." Clarified Davon.

Okay.

Wait-

"Then there's no guards in the basement?" I realized.

Davon leaned in, grinning. "The basement is basically all storage. Two set foot down there for a quick check every hour, but there's no patrol in the basement."

"Your knowledge is truly astounding." I commented.

"Pays to have connections." He chuckled. "I'll give you one more question."

I paused, taking a moment to think.

"How do I get to the basement?" I asked.

"Obviously there's the stairs from first floor, where the two guards go." Devon stated. "But I've heard there's also an emergency secret exit through the basement."

"Which means I could possibly go back through that." I muttered. "Son of a gun."

Research? Lots of guards? Secret exit?

Yeah, I have the feeling that there's a little more to this place than Stromford would like to admit.

"Well, pleasure doing business with ya-" Davon started to say when suddenly a loud coughing reverberated through the club, catching the attention of the both of us along with multiple others.

A man stumbled back from the bar, choking, coughing, and sputtering with red face as he clawed at his neck. And then he fell backwards, hitting the ground with a loud thud.

And then a card floated down, landing beside him. Someone screamed and suddenly people started panicking.

"Shit." Davon cursed.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"If I had to say, Bloodwraith." Davon stated. "Most dangerous hitman in the city. No one knows their face. I only assume that everyone that does dies."

He sighed. "But you always know it's them due to their calling card. A hearts playing card with the signature of Bloodwraith on the back. Despite that blatant evidence, no one can get a match for their handwriting either."

"I should go." Davon stated. "Target wasn't me this time, but this club is no longer safe. Might need to find a new playing ground for a while."

Davon turned towards me, giving a light grin. "Don't die, kid. I like consistent customers."

And then he walked off, leaving the panicking club without a further word. I took one more glance at the fallen man, which now had a small crowd surrounding him. Seems like this is my cue to leave as well.

It's time to prepare for Tuesday.

My biggest job yet.