Chapter 10

"Look what Master Naofumi got me!" Raphtalia showed the ball to V, "He said I can play with it later!" Her tail wagging.

"That's good," She patted Raphtalia's head.

Naofumi placed the ball in the bag, "Where did you run off to?"

"Saw the blacksmith and wanted to talk about a weapon."

They then walked into an inn, Naofumi ringing the bell, "Coming!" The inn keeper went to the front desk to be surprised, "T-the Shield Hero... and the General!"

"I'd like a room, 2 beds. My companion here may scream at night." The inn keeper looked disapproved, "You will give us a room, won't you?" He moved his right arm to lift the cape a bit to reveal a balloon monster biting at his side.

"Y-Yes sir! We'll have one right away!" The inn keeper ran to the back. 

"Doing this is ruining our reputation here," V sighed. 

.

During the night, Naofumi was asleep on his own bed while Raphtalia and V shared the other. V opened her eyes and got up from bed then left the room through the window quietly. She put on her hood then went to the blacksmith shop to leave a letter before doing other things that was on her agenda then going back to the room.

The next day, they walked through the market while being stared at by the villagers.  They killed some monsters, Naofumi trying to give a haircut to Raphtalia while V was laughing quietly. At night they had dinner at the nearby restaurant, V and Naofumi ordering the same dish that had no taste at all while Raphtalia enjoyed her kids meal. After that, the next morning Raphtalia had wet the bed. She was crying, Naofumi reached out her hand and pat her head while V gave her a hug. 

After doing some business with the shopkeeper of the herbs and potions they went to the forest. Raphtalia killed a monster, her skills were improving with the help of V. "All right, Maybe we can start heading deeper into the forest-" A rustling sound came from the bushes, what came out was what looked to be a chubby rabbit. "A rabbit?" It lunged towards Raphtalia but was stopped by Naofumi who stood in front of her causing him to be attacked by the rabbit. "Raphtalia! Now! Stab it!"

She walked a step backwards, whimpering, "What's wrong? Do it now!" 

"But if I stab it... Blood..."

V killed the rabbit, blood did come out. She took out a towel to clean it off before putting it in it's scabbard. "Raphtalia, listen to me. Blood is something you will have to get used to seeing if you are to continue as Naofumi's sword. If you can't fight, Naofumi nor me will be able to protect you, we won't be able to look after you when you need us the most."

"She is right," Naofumi agreed. "Soon there will be another wave of Catastrophe is going to strike this world." Another rabbit came from the same bush and attacked Naofumi, "I- no we need to get stronger as soon as possible before that." He held it by the head, "The only thing I can do is defend... So I need someone else to fight for me. If you can't do it, I'll find someone else. So..."

"You're going to fight the waves?"

"We are. That is our purpose," V looked at her. "Raphtalia, we will need all the help we can get."

"I understand," Raphtalia picked up her knife. Naofumi took the rabbit away from his arm held it for Raphtalia to stab it. Blood coming out, getting all over Raphtalia's clothes and some on her face. "Master... I will fight. So please... Don't leave me!"

Naofumi nodded, V got another towel to wipe off the blood that landed on Raphtalia's face and from Naofumi's face, "Hey-"

"You got some blood on you." She said before backing away.