Halloween candy

“Happy Halloween!” Vinny exclaimed.

“Yeah, yeah…” Derek replied.

“As bland as ever I see.”

“Yep.”

“Do you not like Halloween?”

“Nope.”

“Why?”

“It just isn’t fun to me. Plus, I’m not one for a bunch of sweets.”

“Aww… that isn’t fun… hm… you’re soon gonna be eighteen, right?”

“Did you forget?”

“No no! Momma will never forget!”

“Stepmom…”

“R-Right… anyway~ I think I’ll give you a bit of a gift then to spice up your day.”

“And what might that be?”

“It’s a See-cret!”

Derek sighed and shook his head. He got up from the couch where his stepmom had come to him and it was only then that he looked up from his phone and saw her dressed in a tight witch’s costume. She was thirty-two but looked like she was twenty-five. Despite him thinking she was much too old to be dressing up into a costume, he couldn’t ignore the fact that she wore the costume perfectly. Or rather, the costume wore her. It looked as though it were three whole sizes too small because you could see just about everything her body had to offer. The black of her costume and her hair made her crimson-coloured iris’ shine. Though his view was cut short when she decided to walk into the kitchen. From where he stood in the living room, it was impossible to see into the kitchen so he had to listen to whatever was going on. He could hear mumbles and giggles so he assumed she was on the phone. That was confirmed when she said someone’s name. Olivia. If he wasn’t mistaken, Olivia didn’t live too far down the street. She also owned some sort of establishment that his stepmother would visit on occasion. However, he did take note that every time Vinny came back home from one of her outings to Olivia’s place, she always came back with a patch of stomach that had not been there prior to her leaving. She’d be gone for hours at a time, five to say the least.

He didn’t feel like staying downstairs and listening to the faint girl talk going on in the kitchen so he opted to head upstairs but just as he went to climb the stairs, he heard his name get called from the kitchen. A vein popped on the side of his forehead because he hated it when she called him right before he was about to do something.

“Yes!?” He called back.

“Can you do something for me?” Vinny asked, peeking her head out of the kitchen.

“Sigh… What do you need?” He said, becoming slightly nervous as he saw the mischievous grin on his step mothers face.

“You know Olivia, right?”

“Yeah… why?” he lied.

“I need you to pick up some stuff from her business. Think you can do it?”

“…Why don’t you go? She seems like she loves your attention.”

“I’ve got stuff to do. Besides, she insisted it had to be you…. She has a gift for you.” His mother giggled.

“…Fine…” he sighed.

“Thank you! Wuv you!” She exclaimed, blowing him a kiss.

“Yeah yeah…”

. . . . . .

Having gone upstairs to put on some clothes, he had chosen to wear a simple black hoodie with grey Nike shorts. His choice of footwear were short white socks with lime green crocs. He figured that he wouldn’t be staying there long, so there was no reason for him to dress as though he were going out with people, or to impress anyone. Though, as he headed out, he took a glance back to see his mother who was giving him a rather disturbing look. She seemed a little too happy and her face seemed somewhat flushed. He couldn’t ditch the feeling that something was going on behind his back that he had no idea about. It wasn’t a pleasant feeling but he tried to ignore it as much as he could. As he walked towards the town, his eyes drifted to look at the decorations that had been placed around their neighbours’ houses which were spectacular indeed. He would’ve loved it even more if he had genuinely enjoyed Halloween but he didn’t due to past experiences. Though, he had to give credit where it was due. He could tell that a lot of effort and money had gone into them.