Missing Member

Comincia dall'inizio

"Yeah, I'm sure he must've gotten blown away from the explosion when he was outside...or something." Cole suggested, but then Kai looked at him with a raise brow.

"Even if he was blown away from the explosion, he couldn't have gone far. Now he's just gone, literally nowhere!" Kai raised his hands, then slammed them down on the table. The rest of the group looked at him, their faces squeezing themselves.

"Maybe something....happened to him?" Cole suggested again. He moved slightly closer to Kai and gently gave him back rubs. Kai looked at him and Cole forced a reassuring smile.

"Well no shit! We have to find him, he can't just disappear!" Jay yelled from across the table. Nya shot him a concerned look. The atmosphere screamed different emotions, happy was definitely not one of them. It's all kinds of negative shit.

"Alright, we'll search again." Lloyd sighed. This has happened before and he's already getting tired of it, but his emerald eyes gave away to the fact that he's just as concerned about Zane. Everyone is, Zane is family, afterall. And a certain lover to someone.

Cole nodded alongside with his friends, but when he turned around to meet the warm hazel eyes again, they weren't there. He briefly glanced towards the doorway on the far side, the familiar red gi disappeared just one second from view.

"Give me a sec." Cole just threw a few words and left through the same doorway. The other ninja watched as he went, but decided not to ponder with whatever he wanted to do and just shrugged of the thoughts, going back to discussing.

•••

Knock! Knock!

Kai glanced towards the source of sound, his bedroom door stood still, yet knocks were coming from the other side.

"Kai? It's Cole." The voice came afterwards, Kai didn't respond. He just left the voice hanging from the other side, probably waiting for a response. But then, he spoke again. "I'm coming in, okay?"

The doorknob twisted on its own and the door slowly swung open, Kai just stood in the room, slightly wishing he had locked the door.

"Kai, everything alright?" Cole slowly walked in, Kai immediately broke eye contact and sat down on the bed. He closed his eyes.

"Kai?" Cole asked again, his voice getting closer. As Kai listened to the sound of his door getting closed back in place, his eyebrows squeezed together, seemingly thinking of something...unpleasant. "Hey...it's okay." Cole's voice came out a bit too close than Kai expected.

"It's not okay, Cole." Kai breathed. But before Cole could speak again, he jumped from the bed and stared straight into the jet black eyes. "How is it okay?!"

"Hey, hey, calm down." Cole raised his hands and slightly recoiled at the sight of the sudden action. "I'm here."

"Yeah, but Zane's not."

There was silence. Not exactly an awkward one, but both sides were hesitating to speak. Well someone has to do it, it's either that or it actually becomes awkward.

"I'm sure we'll find him, like we always do. Remember The Never Realm?" Cole tried his best to comfort Kai, but the guy just simply looked at him with such eyes. To be fair, Cole couldn't describe it.

"That was when we knew he was still alive. But this...what if...what if he's-"

"He's alive." Cole's gentle voice came again. Instead of arguing back, Kai had the sudden urge to cry and he did. As always, Cole let him lean into his chest while he sobbed away. Rest in peace, Cole's ninja gi.

It felt weird doing that, as if they've already gotten so used to being close to eachother that snuggling became a normal thing. But it also didn't, because it felt normal.

Cole gently drew circles on the back of Kai's back, trying to soothe him out. But little did he know, all he did was set the fire ninja in absolute flames. In a good way, what it's supposed to mean. Because Kai just realised that he's leaning comfortably against Cole, even if they've already been a couple for weeks, he would still get flustered over little things like this.

Kai pulled away.

Noticing his unusually red face, Cole became concerned. Well, one does not just cry until their whole face becomes a tomato. But little did he know, the crying only lasted a few seconds.

"Jesus, you look like a tomato." There, he said it out loud, when he's supposed to be comforting him.

Kai glared at him. Is it just Cole or did his face get even redder? How could it get redder-

"Ah! Okay, okay! I'm sorry!" Cole said between laughs whilst Kai was busy attacking him with his trusty pillow.

"Great job at ruining the mood." Kai said as if he was actually angry at Cole for making that one comment. But he quickly proved it wrong by letting out chuckles kept in his mouth for too long, giving the hint that he was still trying to hold them in.

"Sorry, firecracker." Cole leaned in to place a kiss on Kai's forehead, when he suddenly recoiled and moved away.

"Hold on, are we doing pet names now?" Kai said, his ears went incredibly red. Cole thought it was cute how he'd get flustered over the smallest things.

"If you want to, I'm fine with it." Cole smiled.

"But I haven't even thought of one for you..." Kai placed a finger against his chin, forcing his walnut brain to work. Trying to think of a good pet name for Cole, when he finished the kiss on his forehead.

"Take your time. I already have a ton of pet names for you in mind." Cole smiled again, this time a bit more, proud.

"Let's hear them." Kai quickly snapped out of his thoughts and looked at Cole, smirking.

"Alright. The one I said just now, firecracker....and how about dynamite?" Cole tilted his head to the side.

"No."

"Flame?"

"No."

"Firefly?"

"N...Not gonna lie, that's actually not ba-"

"How about helping us find Zane?" A voice creeped its way into their ears and both boys jumped.

Jay stood at the doorway, leaning his shoulder against to the side, hence the doorframe.

"Dude, how long have you been there?" Cole felt his own throat go dry.

"Long enough, pet names are cute and all but we've got a missing friend to find." Jay acted casual, both boys just stared at him as if he's wearing a pink skirt or something.

"What are you staring at for?" Jay raised an eyebrow and then picked up the unusual expression hung on their faces.

"Relax, I already know you're dating. Get a hold of yourselves, I'm not gonna tell anyone." Jay wanted to just laugh out loud but forced it to a snicker instead. "Although, Nya already knows."

Then it just seemed as if they were playing chase through the hallway.

"I'm gonna glue your mouth shut, Jay!"

"I just said I'm not gonna tell anyone!"

•••

Zane walked over to the doors. He stood there for a moment, not sure whether to knock or to just, I don't know, stand there till the sun goes down or something.

But a voice came through his earpiece. The very so familiar voice he was told to only respond to.

"Just go in and act it out as I told you to. Don't, mess this up."

Neon specifically raised her voice at the end.

"I won't." Zane replied blankly.

Then the comms disconnected and Zane drew a deep breath, not that he actually needed to breathe anyway.

Remember what you were told to do.

He reached out a hand, grabbed on the handle, and pulled backwards.