How to Get Away From the Friendzone

"Good job out there tonight," Chaeyoung says shyly as she hands Mina a bouquet of flowers. The older happily accepts the sentiment, smelling the flowers and bringing Chaeyoung in for a hug.

"Thank you, Chaeyoungie. I was nervous at first" Mina smiled at the younger. Mina had just finished her ballet performance and invited Chaeyoung to come see her dance. Chaeyoung fiddled with her fingers as she tried her best to maintain eye contact with the Japanese ballerina.

"I–I hope you like the flowers," Chaeyoung managed to get out. Mina giggled and gently patted Chaeyoung's hair, hugging the younger girl again.

"I really love them, Chaeyoung-ah. You're the bestest friend I could ever ask for" Mina smiled as she pulled away. Voices in the distance became calling for the ballerina, grabbing the Japanese's attention.

"Oh! Sana and Momo are calling me, I'll talk to you later?" Mina tilted her head, Chaeyoung simply nodded and Mina walked off to her two best friends.

Chaeyoung groaned, "seriously? 'bestest friend'?" the girl mumbled to herself, as she walked out of the venue. She put her hood on as she walked down the streets, her earphones in her ears, blasting some type of airy and dreamy music.

"Being in the friendzone sucks," she mumbled to herself once again. She stopped by a Seven-Eleven to grab a slurpee and a hotdog. She frustratingly ate it while walking to the nearby skatepark.

She continued to eat and listen to music while sitting on a bench. Thoughts of Mina repeatedly calling her friend lingered in her mind. Myoui Mina had been on Chaeyoung's radar since the beginning of last year. Mina was an upperclassman but Chaeyoung often saw her studying at the library. Mina had spotted Chaeyoung working at their local drive-in cinema last summer which sparked the friendship between the two.

Chaeyoung would offer Mina and her two friends Momo and Sana free entry into different movies over the summer which definitely put the Korean in their good books. However, at school, Mina would spot Chaeyoung almost constantly now. Whenever they were in the library, Mina would call Chaeyoung over to study with her or simply hang out. Throughout their blossoming friendship, Chaeyoung was too cowardly to ever ask Mina out, and thought that making extremely subtle hints would suffice; which obviously proved futile.

Chaeyoung finished her hotdog, scrunching up the wrapper and discarding it into the park bin. Chaeyoung sipped her slurpee, trying to strategise what she should do with Mina. When no good ideas came up, she unplugged her earphones and sighed.

"Ouch, that's gotta hurt," a voice crept up behind her, jumping over the bench to sit next to her.

"What the hell-" Chaeyoung halted as she recognised the face, "Jeong?"

"Don't worry, shortstuff I saw that entire encounter"

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes, but was too tired to retort, "what should I do?"

"Oh, you already know what you should do," Jeongyeon shrugged as she swiped the older girl's slurpee, the taller one stood up, "Dahyun and Tzuyu are running a class tomorrow. Room 205, you want a solution? Show up" The girl simply said as she walked away, with the girl's slurpee.

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes, "bitch," but at this point, did she really have a choice?

~ ~ ~

Chaeyoung walked along the hallway in search of Room 205. The classroom was actually a lecture hall, however, it had not been in use for a long time, well, with the exception of her Jeongyeon's two friends who often ran a class of helping people with their crushes.

Chaeyoung found the door and took a breath before walking in.

The room was filled with various students, everyone was scattered around the lecture hall, from students sitting at the very back to the front, looking for help in charming their love-interests, some of which were familiar faces around campus. Chaeyoung didn't know whether it was sad or interesting. Chaeyoung looked to the front to see Tzuyu chewing a piece of gum, leant on the teacher's desk at the front.