He gently rocked the crying baby in its bassinet, and eventually, the infant drifted off to sleep. The collective sigh of relief from the two men and their feathered companion resonated through the room as they thanked the heavens for their moment of respite.

While Xiaoniao focused on taking care of the few days old baby, Lixin decided to prepare a nourishing porridge for him. Meanwhile, Yangfan took charge of keeping the surroundings tidy, and Zhuque attempted to help, despite his round and small frame. Eventually, Zhuque gave in to his fatigue and opted to rest in his nest.

Once little Xiaobao was fast asleep in his bassinet, Xiaoniao gently placed him there.

"Your dinner is ready," Lixin informed Xiaoniao, who took a seat and inquired about the time he had been asleep. Lixin poured him some tea and offered a warm smile.

"You've been asleep for almost a day. The doctor said it was due to your exhaustion from looking after Xiaobao. What you need most now is rest," Lixin explained. He handed Xiaoniao a cup of tea, which Xiaoniao accepted and sipped slowly.

Lixin continued, "Grandma mentioned that you suddenly passed out in the middle of the street. Fortunately, her grandson, who happened to be visiting from the capital, found you and took you to the doctor. The children ran to get us."

"I'll visit Granny tomorrow to express my gratitude," Xiaoniao said, cheeks bulging as he enjoyed the porridge. Lixin patiently waited as Xiaoniao devoured his meal.

With a satisfied exclamation of "Finished!" Xiaoniao signaled the end of his meal. Lixin patted his head and suggested he get some rest. Xiaoniao took A'Xiao with him and retired to his room after bidding Lixin goodnight.

Xiaoniao displayed a mix of maturity befitting a mother and a wife, especially when caring for the children. However, he could also exhibit a more playful, childlike side, particularly around those he trusted.

As he cleaned the dishes, these thoughts swirled in Lixin head.

***

The next day arrived with much calmer weather than the previous day when a blizzard had raged until midnight.

Xiaoniao gathered the food he had prepared and placed it in a basket. He then secured a piece of fabric around his chest to carry little A'Xiao, who was just a few days old, but seemed to be more alert and mature than his age would suggest, appearing closer to two months old. Regardless of A'Xiao's appearance, Xiaoniao cherished him deeply.

"I'm heading out! I'll be back for lunch!" Xiaoniao informed Zhuque, who had just woken up. Zhuque yawned and waved his wings as if urging Xiaoniao to go.

With a smile, Xiaoniao grabbed a paper umbrella and headed out, a basket in hand. As he strolled through the small bustling streets of the town, some locals greeted him warmly. Elderly residents offered him fruits and vegetables, which he politely declined.

Children playing in the streets couldn't resist approaching Xiaoniao, their eyes filled with wonder as they admired his beautiful baby. This filled Xiaoniao with pride, knowing that his child was considered the most adorable in town.

Upon arriving at Grandma's house, Xiaoniao noticed several children gathered in the front yard beneath a crabapple tree. A young man dressed in purple sat amongst them, engrossed in reading stories to a couple of children nestled in his lap. Xiaoniao couldn't help but be captivated by his charm, whether in his previous life or now.