𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 • 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐚

Start from the beginning

I scoff at that. "Competing is a stretch. Everything I have to work hard for, you can get just by batting your eyes and being at the right place at the right time."

"That's not true."

"It is so true. Especially when it comes to people," I tell her, crossing my arms now too. "And now you're trying to hook up with Theo? I know you guys were friends first but what's next? Are you gonna try going after Ambrose too? Can I have anything to myself?"

With that question, something in Aspen's gaze softens. She still pushes to be stern but there's a moment where her wall falters and something slips through and I catch it, despite all odds.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing," she responds coldly.

I roll my eyes. "What is it, Greenwood?"

"It's nothing, I told you."

"Stop that. I saw your face change so tell me what changed it."

"It's not important," she says finally, slapping her giant headphones on as she presses play on her video, signaling the end of the conversation. I shake my head at her relentless stubborn attitude and try to cool off with a shower.

The water steams up the bathroom as I grab everything I need and let the others know I'll be a little bit, but when I finally step inside, a smile finds its way onto my face. The heat from the water drops onto my skin and for a moment, I don't have to worry about school or rivals or girl crushes. Everything feels at peace for a good twenty minutes.

Then when I get changed and step back into the thick tension of my bedroom, everything comes slamming back into me like a bad dream.

"You guys want some takeout for dinner?" Opal asks from outside our open door. Both Aspen and I glance over at them.

"What kind?" Aspen asks.

"Probably just some Chinese food. I was gonna get some orange chicken and rice."

"Yeah, I'll take that too."

Opal glances over at me. "They have some beyond orange chicken if you want some. And veggie spring rolls."

I smile. "Spring rolls sound great."

"Cool, I'll order it now and let you know when it's ready." They leave us in silence as they walk back into their room where Norah is loudly complaining about the grade she received on her writing prompt. When I turn to look at Aspen, she's staring at me with a frown. But instead of talking to her, I give her the silent treatment and open my laptop to do my homework for the day.

It only takes me an hour to finish everything and by the time it's done, the food has already arrived. Norah and Opal went through the trouble to set up plates and silverware at the dining table, playing our takeout food nicely on each side. I immediately spot the spring rolls and take a seat, scowling across the table when I see Aspen sitting in front of me. She doesn't try saying a word to me and I realize the silent treatment is completely mutual.

Everyone starts eating while exchanging a few words here and there but the real conversation doesn't start until Norah excitedly asks, "Oh, Cara, tell us about your date with Sasha! How'd it go?"

I snicker to myself as I think about the irony of Norah asking me about my date when she knows even less about Aspen's. But I just smile and bite my tongue, answering her question instead of bringing that up.

"It went well, actually. She took me to dinner and then we went back to her place to watch a movie."

"Oh?" Opal chips in. "Did you guys hook up or anything?"