𝐬𝐢𝐱. the universe works in strange ways

            That same night Soleil had to pick up her fairy wings at the Carpenter apartment

            That same night Soleil had to pick up her fairy wings at the Carpenter apartment. Two days ago, the day of the supermarket attack, she'd taken her bandana with her, but accidentally left the fairy wings.

She knocked on the door. A surprised Anika opened the door. "Oh, hi," She said. "What're you doing here?" She asked.

"I just came to pick up my transportation," Soleil said. Anika's face grew confused. "I was joking. Sorry. I came to pick up the wings of my Halloween costume."

Something clicked in Anika's face as the smile found her face again. "Right! Yeah, they're in the kitchen, I think."

Soleil made her way to the kitchen, closing the door behind her. Coming closer to the closed off kitchen, Soleil heard Chad shouting. "Core Four, up top!" She stood in the doorway as she watched all three other members of the so–called Core Four decline his hand. He turned his head. His eyes widened as he noticed Soleil standing there. "Oh, sorry, hey."

"Hey," There was a sadness in her voice. She knew they were suspecting of her, but Soleil felt uncomfortable whenever she was left out on something. All of a sudden she couldn't meet anyone's eyes anymore, and her voice went all quiet. "Sorry, my wings were still here." She pointed at the wings on the countertop behind Mindy.

Mindy moved out of the way so Soleil could take her wings back. She walked away again, hanging around to talk to Anika for a bit. Mindy knew the two had been friends for a few years longer than they'd known either of them.

"Maybe you were a bit hard on her," Tara told Mindy, staring at Soleil's back. "She seems to have taken it quite hard. I mean— I have never seen her in sweatpants."

"She's a grown woman, she can take it," Mindy shrugged. "I'm sure there were worse things at home for her when she was little. Imagine living with a serial killer," Her eyes found Sam's, just before they were casted downwards. "Sorry."

Sam gave a nonverbal response. Before any of them could say anything, Anika called all of them into the living room. They gathered in front of the TV. The news was on, with the headline PRIME SUSPECT SAMANTHA CARPENTER. Last night's outburst was filmed by numerous of Aaliyah's friends, and apparently it had made its way to the national news. The video popped up on the TV, afterwards the news reporter continued to go through the case. Sam snatched the remote from Anika's hands and turned the TV off before the reporter could speak further.