"It's the truth," I responded.

He leaned closer in his seat, hands pressed together as he looked down at me with eyes that matched his son.

"Have you given up then?"

"No," I breathed, startled by his question, "I haven't given up. But I know it may happen. I know it's going to hurt. I already hurt," I was embarrassed by the tears that fell on my cheeks. Embarrassed that this strong man who taught his son to breathe fire and protect the things he desired, was looking at me with such sorrow.

"I'm scared," I hadn't whispered my words to anyone. Not Rose, not Conrad, not Mimi. No one. No one knew of the fears I faced when I pictured what it would be like after. I thought of nothing but a blank space, a void where I just no longer was. I couldn't fathom it. My mind seemed to blank out and panic would come.

"I'm so scared," I couldn't stop the tears now. In an instant, Draco was up, gently lifting me so that I was cradled in his arms.

I pressed my face to his chest, hiding but at the same time, trying to find comfort.

I looked up and saw tears in his own eyes. I didn't know what he was crying about. Maybe my fear, or maybe my death. Perhaps just the image of a little girl realizing that life didn't give second chances.

He said nothing. He only pressed me closer to him, letting me cry until I fell asleep.

I looked at Draco now. A silent conversation passed between us as he stood up and leaned towards me, gently kissing my forehead.

I watched as Conrad began to break. As he squeezed my hand, almost like he was willing my body to continue.

I wanted to tell him to let me go. I wanted to ask why he even had chosen to protect something that was already broken. I wanted to tell him that I was in pain. That I wanted the pain to stop.

Mimi came in then, taking my other hand in hers. She gently rubbed warmth back into my fingers. 

"Hey baby," she whispered. Everyone had been whispering to me all day. I knew, and they knew why our voices had automatically done it.

"You got a visitor," she said.

That caught Conrad's attention. I was too weak to lift my head, but I was able to watch as Conrad's eyes turned quickly to stare at whoever was at the door. The dark color of his irises became lighter, a hint of gold flaring up. The color captured my attention, as red circled the gold. A soft sound came out of him, and if I didn't know better, I would have called it a growl.

"What the fuck are you doing here?"

I knew who the visitor was the moment Mimi mentioned. I turned my head, and watched as mama came into my field of vision.

She ignored Conrad, taking off her sunglasses and setting them on the table beside me before reaching down and kissing my cheek.

"Hey sweety," she whispered.

"Mama," my voice, even through its weakness, cracked with the overwhelming joy I felt at seeing her.

"What are you doing here?" Conrad's voice breaks our reunion. I watched as mama turned to him, her face looking confused as she took in the dragon who held my hand.

"I'm here to see my daughter. Who are you?"

A bark of laughter left Conrad, "wouldn't have known she was your daughter. Great of you to finally show up."

"Conrad," I weakly shook my head. He glared down at me, before turning his stare to mama.

"Conrad..." I hear Dracos' voice from the doorway. "Let her see Ares."