24. The Broken Bargain

Start from the beginning

Dade straightened himself. "Cole...What have you done to Cole?"

Lord Rane raised an eyebrow. "I have done nothing to Cole." He studied the king for a long moment, taking in the panic-stricken eyes and the concern they held. His gaze seemed to soften. "He merely has a fever. Surely you are not worrying over so small a thing."

Dade eyed him warily. "You did nothing?"

"Of course, I did nothing. I simply removed him from that cold room to a more comfortable place. He is much more at rest where he is now." He smiled gently, seeing that the king's suspicions had not wavered. "My good king, you always jump to the hastiest accusations. You know I would never stoop to such a thing. Look at you, perspiration on your brow and eyes like a frightened deer. You don't look at all like the king that you are. Come on now, square those shoulders of yours and lift that chin. That's better."

Dade sank wearily onto his throne, making sure he sat with his back straight as a rod and head held high. 

"He'll be okay?" he asked, his voice still hinting his concern.

Lord Rane moved forward and placed his hand over that of the king's. "He will be. You have my word."

A sigh of relief left Dade's lips and his tense hand relaxed. "Lord Rane..." his voice faded, and he looked away.

Lord Rane glanced at him curiously. "My lord?"

Dade shook his head wearily. "It is nothing," he murmured.

Lord Rane did not prompt him, but his eyes narrowed thoughtfully as he turned away. He walked back over to the stone table and bent over it, examining a map carefully. His finger traced back and forth, as if following some invisible path.

Dade watched him carefully. The older man nodded, with a satisfied smile and began placing tiny wooden markers on the map. He's planning a battle, thought Dade. He didn't know why he was so surprised, considering the attack on the sentries the other night. As far as Dade knew, the royal advisor hadn't found out about his meeting with the two youngsters. 

Lord Rane glanced over his shoulder and saw the king studying him. He straightened.

"Your eyes betray you, my lord," he said, with a hint of a smile. "You are burning with questions and yet you continue to hesitate. Am I so fearsome?"

Dade ignored his question and rising to his feet, came to join him at the table. Lord Rane watched him with sharp eyes. Pretending not to notice, Dade leaned over the map. The wooden markers that represented their soldiers covered the plain just beyond the forest borders. More of these markers were placed across the Kol mountains.

Dade frowned. Why were there markers there? His gaze drifted back to the plains and up to the city. His heart pounded in his chest as something caught his attention. A small winged carving rested upon the castle. It was impossible. Lord Rane would never go so far. Almost immediately, a cold dread weighed down upon him. Thoughts bombarded him from all directions and slowly the answer fell into place. Giving a casual nod, he turned away.

"It seems your desires will be fulfilled, and I can do naught about it."

Lord Rane smiled and gently placed another wooden marker upon the map. "Even if you could, sire, I would strongly recommend you don't. Don't forget our little bargain."

A shudder ran down Dade's spine and he forced himself to give the watching lord a small bow of the head. "I will not forget anytime soon."

As he turned away and strode out the door, a hard lump rose in his throat. Collapsing into the shadows of the stairway, the king drew his knees up under his chin and rested his head upon his arms. His hand rested close to his heart, the small crumpled drawing still held tightly in his grasp. A shuddering sob shook his body as the tears finally broke free. In the darkness, alone, the Erlenian king wept bitterly.