19. Priscilla, the Retired Healer

Start from the beginning

 Priscilla as Harriet called her, raised a perfect eyebrow at the statement. 

"And that is," explained Harriet. "That the king must be stopped. I have always known that you have a friendly relationship with the mages, and I also know how it must hurt you to see them being killed. While I tend to the king's soldiers, the mages have brought their victims here, haven't they?"

Priscilla looked away, but not before Andrea noticed the look of pain that filled her eyes. "Yes, and not only tended to them but also to their graves that are growing in number." 

Andrea's eyes widened in horror as it became clear to her what the mounds outside were. They were all resting places to the mages who had been killed. 

Priscilla continued. "These hills have become a massive graveyard and I can hear their souls crying for vengeance. Do you know how much willpower it takes for me not to go pour Elga poison into the city well? Or at least to carry a lit torch to the soldiers' barracks? I only refrain from doing so as I refuse to take the lives of innocents. The king however is another matter. Woe to him should our paths ever cross."

Andrea shuddered at the woman's bitter and threatening tone. And she knew without a doubt that the proud woman would not make up such tales. Priscilla would indeed take the king's life is she ever saw him. Thinking of all the lives already lost, Andrea was determined to convince the woman of another way to bring about peace. Pushing her anxiety away, she spoke up. 

"Then I think you will agree to our plan."

Priscilla looked at her. "Plan?" she asked, her tone holding a tint of disbelief. "You have a plan, young one?"

"It's not mine. You see, these last few days haven't been spent with Harriet. I've been in the woods with the werewolves. Not the packs themselves but with several different loners." Priscilla leaned forward slightly, and Andrea knew she had captured her attention. "We have a young wolf with us that we discovered may be the grandson of Ulric and the son of Weylin. If we can get him to go to these alphas and try to convince them to unite in peace, Therron might also agree. Once the three packs are united, we could warn the king that unless he draws back the order, they will fight him. If he has any brains, he should do it because the wolves united would be too big of a threat.
But the young wolf has been cursed and is stuck in his wolf form. We won't be able to convince the alphas to agree unless they can see his human form themselves. So, we need to cure him."

Priscilla nodded. "And that is why you need the moon-drop oil?" When Andrea nodded frantically, she smiled. "Then you needn't worry, for I have that in plenty." Andrea sighed in relief but stiffened as Priscilla's smile widened. "But as Harriet well knows, I never do a trade unless I get something...I particularly want..." Her voice faded off, as if hinting it was something they would be reluctant to trade.

Andrea glanced at Harriet, frantic. Harriet's mouth had formed a hard line and her eyes glinted angrily. 

"And I thought you truly cared for your mage friends," she muttered.

Priscilla gave her a sweet smile. "Of course, but I must think for myself first. Come Harriet, everyone has a little selfishness inside them."

Harriet clearly didn't think so, but she reached for her purse anyway. "Just tell me the price you want."

Priscilla shook her head gently. "I am not after money, my dear. All I ask is that you give me that young cow you bought last summer. The one with the crescent moon upon her forehead."

Andrea glanced quickly at Hugo and saw that like Harriet's, his mouth too had become drawn in a hard line. He's very fond of Diana, she thought. Would he do it?