Andrea glanced at Rodarn. He was looking down at his hands, his grim-face laced with guilt. Andrea smiled, but it faded as she thought of her own. To be rejected and alone forever. She looked away, blinking back the tears that stung at her eyes. Ronan prattled on, but she could no longer hear him.

A wounded heart's choice in life, to forgive or be filled with strife. What did it really mean, that line? Was it her forgiving Dagen for his attack and her choice to stay? But how could an ordinary girl like her stop a war? She wasn't born for great things. Why would she be so important in the coming future? A thought struck her. Dagen had said that the key to creating peace would be to find Felan's cure. He had also mentioned that none of them here could read. But she could!

She leapt to her feet, ignoring Ronan's betrayed face as she suddenly deserted the conversation and rushed to where she had stored away the stolen library books. Sitting on her blanket cross-legged, she began to skim over the book's content.

Dagen had just returned from hours of wandering through the woods and was sitting down to a long-earned rest, when he heard his name being called. He looked up to see Andrea racing towards him, waving a book wildly.

"I found it, Dagen," she exclaimed in excitement. "I found it."

Dagen regarded her with a slight smile, amused at her enthusiasm. "Found what?"

Andrea held the book out, then flushed red as she remembered he couldn't read. 

"It's not a permanent cure, but it should be enough for the time needed. It says here, that the oil from the moon-drop flowers can be used as a temporary effect for the symptoms of most illnesses and also for the temporary relief of curses." She lowered the book and stood grinning down at Dagen. "When I was staying with the healer, her helper Hugo, told me that Harriet traveled all over the world for potions. She might have it. Let me go back and I will ask her for it."

Dagen looked hesitant, but after a moment, he nodded. "Alright, but you must come back as soon as possible. I don't want the king and his men suspecting anything."

Andrea smiled gleefully. "Don't worry, Harriet won't say a word and I will be back as soon as I have the cure."

Dagen reached down to retrieve his bow he had laid across the ground. 

"I'll take you as far as the forest's edge, but you must also remember that time is essential. We need that potion no matter what and as quick as possible."

He went to stand back up, but Andrea grabbed his sleeve to stop him. She started back in fright, when Dagen violently flinched, his eyes momentarily flickering with colour. He must have been aware of it, for he blushed and refused to meet her gaze. Andrea did not dwell on it, knowing how awkward he had become after yesterday's occurrence.

"Come with me, Dagen. Please."

Dagen's eyes shot up to stare at her, as if trying to gauge her intentions. Andrea didn't give him the chance to speak, as she gently reached out to cover his hands with hers. They were cold. Dagen noticed her falter and drew his hand away. Shaking herself to focus, she met his questioning gaze once more.

"I don't know what happened to you yesterday and I won't push you to tell me. But I do know you are not okay. So please come back with me, Dagen."

Dagen gave her a smile. But Andrea saw plainly it was nothing more than a façade. 

"I am fine, Andrea. He hit me twice, that's all. I think I am man enough to take that without running to get it kissed better."

Andrea stared at him, her mind reverting to her younger days before she had even met Francis. She remembered how she had often kept her cuts and scrapes to herself after being told to 'be a big girl' and to 'not bother mummy'. 

Then in the more recent years, she recalled the time she had badly sprained her wrist and kept it a secret for several days. Not because she had no one to go to, not because she was afraid of being scolded, but because she felt as though she didn't deserve to be fussed over. As she studied the hunter's face, she saw his youth for the first time. The loneliness, the self-loathing, the pain, his young eyes could not disguise it all as his masking face could.

"She won't interfere with you, Dagen. She won't pry into your story. She will help you and that will be all. You know you can not help yourself, and I know you are too proud to ask the twins. And as much as I want to, I don't even know basic first-aid. So please, for the future sake of all this, come with me. It is the least you can do after making me stay." 

She added the last bit, in a half-hearted attempt to guilt-trip him into it. She felt disgusted at herself for doing so, but she knew Dagen needed the extra prompting. She was right. Dagen gave a wordless nod.

With a smile, Andrea rose to her feet, pulling him up with her.

"Shall we go now? I feel like I have a lot to explain."

The entire walk to the healer's house, Andrea ran over all the things she would tell the old healer woman. And she would see Celena again. She would no longer be the unsteady scrawny calf Andrea remembered. She would have grown stronger these past days and fattened up, no doubt. She gave a little skip at the thought, and Dagen raised an eyebrow. But he refrained from making any comment.
At last, the trees began dispersing and Andrea thought she caught a glimpse of smoke rising from the chimney. 

Both of the pair slowed their footsteps, suddenly afraid to approach the house. Andrea was the first to recover however. She unconsciously took Dagen's hand, leading him onward. As they broke free from the trees, Dagen came to a halt.

"You had better go first, so you can explain everything before introducing me."

Andrea nodded, but made no move. Rolling his eyes with a sigh, Dagen shoved her forward. Andrea needed no further prompting; she practically flew across the sloping yard and down to the small house.

"Harriet, Hugo," she called. "I'm back."