"That's not San Francisco architecture," Annabeth pointed out. AJ knew she would know best, of course, considering her obsession with architecture and living in the Californian city.

For a long moment, AJ stared at the painting. Then he sighed and asked, "Well, what's up?"

Annabeth looked at him oddly. "What do you mean what's up?"

"We've been avoiding each other since the quest ended, Annabeth," he pointed out. "And, suddenly, here you are. I know you."

Annabeth grimaced, as if hating the fact that AJ did know her too well. "Thing is ..." She shifted in her seat, as if this was hard to admit. "I was thinking you could help me with something."

AJ raised his eyebrows. "Me? You want my help?"

"Why are you saying that like it's crazy?" Annabeth scowled, eyebrows pinching together. "I already asked for your help beforethe Labyrinth, remember? Besides, you and Beckendorf work together all the time in the forges"

"So you're only asking me 'cause you don't want to bother Beckendorf?"

Annabeth slammed the laptop closed. "AJ!"

The blond grinned. "It's easy to get under your skin, you know that right?"

The daughter of Athena huffed and gathered the laptop into her arms. "Forget it, AJ. I can do it on my own"

"No, no, no!" AJ dropped the paintbrush he was holding and grabbed Annabeth's arm. He was just glad they were arguing this time, he didn't want her to leave. "I was just pulling your leg, Beth. Seriously."

She narrowed her eyes on him, and AJ quickly added, "I would love to help. I meanswords that can fold into origami sounds crazy cool."

For a moment, Annabeth only watched him. Then, she kicked his leg. "It wasn't funny, AJ."

"I think it was." He shrugged, turning back to his half-finished painting.

She scoffed. "You're impossible."

"So what are you thinking about making first?" he asked, glancing her way.

For a moment, she considered. Then she shrugged. "I dunno. I haven't even looked at half the stuff Daedalus put in here, to be honest ..."

"Then the video shield thing," offered AJ. "It'd be pretty handy for battles."

"And spying," Annabeth agreed.

"Then it's a done deal," said AJ, smiling at her. "We'll look at the plans soon."

He thought that'd be the end of the conversation, but Annabeth didn't go. She watched him, an odd look in her eyenot so calculating, but ... AJ couldn't figure out what the look read, but her eyes were like a storm cloud.

"I'm glad we made up," she said finally.

AJ faltered, and the paintbrush went in an odd direction. He cursed, quickly wiping his finger over the wet paint. "Why that all of a sudden?"

Annabeth turned flustered. "I was just saying!"

"Well ..." AJ struggled for the right words. "I"

"Forget it!" Annabeth started to walk away. "See you tomorrow, AJ."

And she hurried out of the Arts & Crafts Center, leaving the other inhabitants to glance his way. AJ scowled to himself from embarrassment, fussing over the painting of his old, very faint memories.