Cruelty - 1

Before I let you go read this chapter, I want to say that I'm being really slow with writing and probably won't have an on-time schedule for a long time. So expect me posting at random times or not posting for like a month or two, or three... or whenever I remember next (also, just about none of this is proofread. So, if you could point out any mistakes, I'll gladly fix them).

Anyways... you may continue with your reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tanjiro wiped his face with a towel to wipe off any extra soot and sweat he had gathered from making charcoal for hours on end. He wasn't required to go to town for the week, but he wanted to. Their family did need the money to get good food for New Years. Tanjiro was still determined to sell his charcoal and earn as much money as possible for the sake of his family. 

"Tanjiro," Tanjiro's mother called. Tanjiro perked up at his mother's call.

He headed over to where he heard his mother's voice and peeked his head around the corner.

"You don't have to go, you know. It's dangerous with all of the snow."

"I want to make sure we can all have a good fill on New Years. Besides, Nezuko told me that she has some silk that she needs to sell. She'll go with me," He explained to his mother, "I'll sell every bit of charcoal I have with me."

"Thank you so much," Mom said with soft eyes.

Before Tanjiro could reply with an "it's no problem," two of his younger siblings ran towards him quickly. Well in specifics, Hanako and Shigeru of the younger siblings he has.

"Nii-chan! Nii-chan!" Hanako and Shigeru chanted, revolving around him with bright smiles on their faces.

"You're going to town, right?"

"I'm going with you!"

"Oh no, you're not. You both know that you can't walk fast like Nezuko or Tanjiro," Mom shot down their requests immediately. Before Shigeru and Hanako could protest, Mom continued, "You may not. Tanjiro or Nezuko can't bring the cart with them today if you two get too tired."

Instead of continuing to pester Mom, they went to Tanjiro as a last resort.

"Nii-chan!!" The two young children screamed as they clung onto Tanjiro's haori, "I wanna go with you! I promise that I'll help!"

Tanjiro smiled and laughed softly. 

"Thanks, Hanako. I'm afraid you can't come with Nezuko and me." 

"What?!" Hanako pouted, Shigeru following shortly after.

"You too, Shigeru. We'll bring you lots of yummy treats for when I get back, okay?" Shigeru's eyes sparkled and he nodded furiously, "and Hanako, Nezuko and I can read for you when we get back."

"Yay!" Hanako cheered, practically bouncing up and down excitedly.

Tanjiro simply smiled.

"Thank you so much, Tanjiro," His mom thanked him graciously.

"It's no issue, Mom," Tanjiro suddenly remembered something. That's right! He needed someone to chop firewood for him.

Thankfully, he spotted Takeo, his other younger brother, behind the house. He was sneakily spying on the rest of the family.

"Hey, Takeo? Could you chop as much firewood as you can for me, please?" Tanjiro asked, drawing Takeo out of his hiding spot by waving him over.

"Sure, but I... kind of wanted to do it together," Takeo muttered.