"What encounter." Were the thoughts of Team 8, 10 & team Guy.

"His near death helped become more powerful. " Kakashi thought

The board started going through the last four names.

Neji looked up at the board as the names were decided.

Hinata Hyuga VS Neji Hyuga

Upon seeing it, Hinata wished she hadn't, gasping in fear and shock when she recived one of the worst possible match ups she could have gotten.

Kiba gritted his teeth in frustration and worry. Kurenai looked concerned. 'Hinata.'

Guy narrowed his bushy eyebrows in worry. He knew his student might cause trouble with this match.

'Hm, this should be an interesting match indeed.' The Hokage thought.

Neji didn't look happy seeing the names on the board, but he wasn't fearful like Hinata was. Perhaps he thought it was simply fate for him to fight the heiress of the main branch. Since it could not be avoided, he merely accepted it.

Standing face to face, there was a tense atmosphere between them.

"I never thought that you and I would have to face each other, Hinata." Neji spoke.

"Nor I, brother." Hinata replied, her eyes downcast, unable to look at Neji's that seemed to be staring into her soul.

With nothing else happening, Hayate proceeded. "All right, you may begin when ready."

Moving into a stance, Neji had something to say to Hinata before they fought.

"Before we do this, a word of advice. Hinata, listen to me." He told her, the heiress glancing up to meet his eyes.

"Withdraw now. You know you were never meant to be a ninja." He stated, making Hinata freeze up.

"You're too kind and gentle. You seek harmony and avoid conflict. You allow yourself to be easily swayed by others." He pointed out.

Knowing he had some fair points, Hinata looked away, unable to face him.

"Admit it, you have no confidence. You feel inferior to everyone else here. It would have been better for you to simply remain a Genin, but to register for the Chunin Exams, you need a team of three people. You never even wanted to take part in these exams, but Shino and Kiba did, and you couldn't bear to let your teammates down, could you?" Neji asked, his anger clear.

No, you're wrong. You're wrong." Hinata denied, shaking her head at his accusations. "I wanted- I had to find out. I did it because I wanted to see if I could change." She admitted.

No one said anything, but it was clear that Sakura, Kakashi, Kiba, Shino, and Kurenai were all concerned.

'Hinata.' Kurenai thought, recalling when she first became Hinata's sensei and met the head of the Hyuga clan. How strict he was on his youngest daughter in her training. The girl had been panting and strained to get back up on her father's orders. Then the way he was so cold when referring to Hinata.

It was then, Kurenai couldn't help but feel compassion for the student under her wing.

'Hinata has struggled to become what she wanted to be.' Kurenai thought.

Naruto saw Hinata's expression, she looked as if she wanted to cry.

Neji was unmoved by this, continuing to slander her. "Hinata, you are the pampered offspring of the Hyuga's main branch."

"What?" Hinata asked, confused. Never having considered her life pampered.

"People can't change no matter how hard they try." Neji declared, shocking Hinata. "They can't run away from their true nature. A failure will always be a failure."