Chapter 11

(Third Person POV)

Puss and Kitty wait by the shore on their raft in complete silence.

But that silence is eventually broken when Kitty says, "So what's your connection with Val, anyway?"

"Hmm?" Puss looks over at Kitty with confusion.

"I mean, she tags along with you for a reason. Is she another friend of yours?" Kitty asks.

Puss nods. "We are well acquainted. I don't hang out with her as often, but we trust each other."

Kitty sits there, staring at the ground deep in thought. "And I'm guessing she has an important wish she wants granted? She's not here to just help you?"

"I may have an idea for what she wants to wish for...She did lose a few people in her life." Puss stops what he is about to say and tries to change the subject. "But it's not my place to be talking about her past without her here. I'm sure she would be willing to tell you more about her wish when the time comes."

Kitty groans before looking to where Val ran towards just a little while ago. "Well, she better find that dog soon. They haven't returned yet."

Not thinking twice, Puss stands up and hops out of the raft holding the map, with Kitty following after him. "Val! Perro!" he shouts. "I have nothing to worry about for Val, she can take care of herself. But I can't trust that Perro would make it out of here on his own. So let's just hope that Val found him already."

As they walk toward the canyon-like forest, Kitty walks up beside Puss. "Aw, I think you like him," she says in a singsong voice.

"No. No, I don't," Puss says, trying to deny it.

"I think you're ready to name him." Kitty still uses her singsong voice when saying this.

Puss holds the map to his chest. "No, I just need his easy path to get my wish."

"You mean my wish," Kitty says, grabbing onto the map as well.

"You mean my wish!"

A new voice echoes throughout the surroundings, which catches the two cats by surprise. Popping out from behind a few vines is Jack Horner, and his Baker's Dozen, on a tank-like carriage being pulled by a few unicorns.

In one hand, Val is held up by the back of her sweater. Her fear is pretty evident, but she tries to hide that behind a glare sent in Jack's direction.

And in her arms is Perrito still holding the stick in his mouth. "Sorry," Perrito mutters sheepishly as he stares at Puss and Kitty.

The Baker's Dozen jump off the carriage and prepare their weapons. Their expressions are fierce and evil.

"The Baker's Dozen," Puss says in surprise.

Kitty, on the other hand, points her sword at the group. "Let them go."

Jack is not bothered by her threat, sounding as innocent as he can. "I don't know, I might keep them." He reaches his other hand into a huge bag sitting in front of him while glancing at Val. "Would your dog like a treat?"

Val doesn't seem to like the sound of that question. She could let go of Perrito so he could run off, but that would be putting his life on the line with the Baker's Dozen around.

"Nice granny bag, Little Jack," Kitty jokes with a smirk.

Jack only glares at her, saying, "It's not a granny bag! It is a magic wishing bag!" Right after he says that he pulls out a crossbow and points it at Puss and Kitty. "Now, make with the map, or we'll see what the unicorn horn really does."