Chapter 4

(Val's POV)

I silently sneak down the stairs to see what is causing all the ruckus. And what I see next is something I didn't expect.

There is a group of bears and a blonde-haired girl with a wooden staff, probably close to my age, looking around the place. The female bear is picking up cats that run by, the bigger bear is playing my grandmother's piano, and the smaller bear is sniffing the floor.

On instinct, I quietly run up the stairs and lock myself in my room. I then take the time to pace around the room and think of a plan.

Now I don't really go out and socialize much. But I have seen a wanted poster of a group of criminals that look similar to the ones downstairs. I believe they go by the name Goldilocks and the Three Bears, who consist of Papa Bear, Mama Bear, and Baby Bear.

But why are they here? Last I saw, they were all in search of something...or someone. Puss In Boots!

Knowing him, he would have found a way to escape the house. That's what I need to do as well. He shouldn't be far, so finding him would be pretty easy.

I approach my window and open it. I stick half of my body outside and see no one around. The opportunity is taken and I climb down a nearby tree.

I sneak around the back of the house and hear the four criminals already leaving out the front door. Which seems pretty odd to me. There's no way Puss would have been caught that easily. Peeking around the corner, I spot them standing in front of Puss' makeshift grave.

Oh, they probably think he's dead, or something.

I jump when something lands right next to me. Lord and behold, there's Puss watching them from a distance, like me.

"Thank goodness you're safe, Puss," I whisper to him.

He nods before running over to the tree that is a few feet away from them. With a quick motion of his hand, he ushers for me to follow.

I sigh and keep my eyes on Goldilocks and the bears. Simultaneously, I run over to the tree without making a sound or being spotted. At least my stealth skills haven't left me.

"Do you know these guys?" I ask in a whisper.

"Yes. They supposedly have an offer for me so I can help them in return," Puss responds, peeking behind the tree.

"Puss In Boots, dead and buried," I hear Baby Bear say to the others.

"Dead?" Goldilocks exclaims. "No, no, no, he can't be."

Baby Bear makes a double-take and sniffs the dirt over the grave before sitting back up. "Yep. The nose never lies."

"Well, that's it then," Papa Bear says. "What say we go and hibernate, huh?"

Goldilocks pulls Papa Bear back with her staff. "No. The map is being delivered tonight, and we have one chance to steal it. Without it, we'll never find the Wishing Star."

Puss' ears perk up from the last statement. "The Wishing Star. It does exist," he says in awe.

I kneel down so I can hide better behind the tree and get on the same level as Puss. "So that's what they're after..." I mutter to myself.

"That star has one wish to grant," Goldilocks explains to the three bears.

"One wish?" Puss asks.

"Think what that could mean for us," Goldilocks continues.

"Nine lives. Yes!" Puss whispers excitedly.

I look down in thought. If what she says is true, that means there's a chance I could wish for something. If I get the star first, that is. And that also means I could wish for...

"Well, I don't see why we needed to hire Puss In Boots in the first place," Baby Bear says, snapping me out of my focus.

Goldilocks groans in irritation. "Because nobody steals from Big Jack Horner."

Puss faces away from them and leans back on the tree. "No! Not Jack Horner."

I glance at Puss with confusion written all over my face. "Who's Jack Horner?"

We both go quiet when the group goes back to talking, with Mama Bear saying, "Don't worry, love. We'll get that wish somehow."

"Thank you, Mama," Goldilocks says with a small smile.

"Yeah, because I've got a plan," Baby Bear declares. "I can nick a map as good as any old cat."

Goldilocks laughs at him. "You've got a plan?" Shoving his snout back, she stands up and starts to leave the front yard. The others follow as well.

"What? I'm smart, ain't I? Ain't I, Papa?" Baby Bear asks.

"No, you ain't well-fixed for brains," Papa Bear responds.

With them finally gone, we step out from behind the tree. Puss walks ahead of me and stops right in front of his grave. "Robbing Big Jack Horner...very risky. But that wish could get me my lives back. And my life back." He throws his two mittens on his hands behind him, only for them to hit my face and fall to the floor. "Goodbye, Pickles!"

"Oh, no, Pickles, you're leaving?" A familiar voice asks.

I'm not going to lie, but the dog's voice out of nowhere startled me a bit.

Puss turns around and points at the dog. "Perro, start digging," he says, referring to the grave.

"Okay," the dog says before digging through the dirt. "But if this Puss In Boots is such a big deal, maybe we shouldn't be desecrating his grave."

I take the chance to sit down on the grass next to the tree, leaning back on my hands.

Puss stands over the now unburied grave, revealing his cape, boots, belt, and hat. "No, I don't think he would mind, because he..." Puss grabs his stuff and puts it on. "...is me!" He strikes a heroic pose while holding his sword in the air. But the thing is...there is no sword in his hand.

I tilt my head, trying to figure out why he doesn't have his sword with him.

"Oh...o-okay," The dog says, not really getting the situation.

Feeling a bit embarrassed, Puss puts his arm down. "Oh, yeah. Uh...Normally, I have a sword. It's like a whole thing, you know?"

"Pickles, you're Puss In Boots?" The dog asks in surprise.

Puss turns around confidently. "Not yet, but I will be." Without a moment to lose, he runs off.

I quickly stand to my feet and follow after him. "See ya, little perrito." After the brief farewell, I try to catch up with Puss.

"I'll come with you!" The dog shouts to us.

"Sorry, perro. Puss In Boots walks alone!" Puss responds.

Finally running next to him, I say, "Let me come along at least. You know how good I am at stealth missions."

Puss sighs to himself in defeat. "Fine."