Chapter 10

(Val's POV)

It's time for the River of Relaxation. And never have I thought this would be so cool. We flow downstream on a giant piece of tree bark. Well, I got my own raft to reduce the chance of us sinking if we all were to share one.

I look down at the edge of the raft while lying on my stomach, my head resting on my palms. The river is clear and sparkly, which gives the appearance of a soapy texture. Staring at my reflection through the water makes me feel calm and relaxed, hence the river's name.

"Okay, Kitty, I think I've got it now," Perrito says, catching my attention. He sits towards the back of his raft with Kitty and tries to do the cute stare from earlier. "Trust me..." His attempt doesn't seem to be going so well since all he's doing is widening his eyes forcefully.

"Easy, easy. You're gonna give yourself a hernia. Here, one more time. Like this." Kitty's eyes dilate and sparkle in the most adorable way possible. "Trust me," she says while staring at Perrito.

In response, Perrito tilts his head and says, "Aw. But of course I trust you and Puss, and Val, even without the eyes."

Kitty sits back on the raft with one leg over the other. "Yeah? Big mistake."

"What do you mean? You're my friends," Perrito says.

"You know what trust gets you?" Kitty asks. "A sock, a rock, and a swim in the river."

"You have to trust somebody, right?" Perrito says, trying to sound positive.

"Not me. Uh-uh." Kitty stands up and leans over the other side of the raft. "Whenever I've let my guard down, I've been double-crossed, declawed, played, and betrayed." I notice she takes a glance at Puss, who sits at the front. "Never again. I am a solo act."

I shrug before stroking my arms through the water to catch up with them. "You're not wrong, Kitty. I'm kind of the same way."

Kitty nods in my direction before looking back at Perrito, kneeling down to his level. "Take it from me and Val. Never trust anyone." When she says this, she takes the chance to swiftly take Perrito's sweater. Even I'm surprised to see something like that happen.

Perrito doesn't notice at first. But when Kitty motions to the sweater in her hand, he looks down at himself. "W-wait. That's amazing." His sweater is thrown on his head and he says, "You're good."

With that topic changed, Puss stands up and approaches the two. He clears his throat to get Kitty's attention. "Kitty, I've been thinking."

"Ugh, thinking about what?" Kitty asks with annoyance.

Puss grabs his beard confidently. "My beautiful beard. It is very distinguished, yes, but it does deprive the world a good look at, uh, the face."

Kitty lifts an eyebrow, uncertain as to what he is trying to get at.

"So, if it will make you happy, I could be convinced to-" Puss starts to say.

"I've gotten used to it," Kitty interrupts as she walks to the front of the raft.

"Wait, what?" Puss questions.

"The beard, keep it," she clarifies.

Puss looks around and says, "Uh, well, you see, uh..." He starts to chuckle. But that chuckle eventually turns into a sob, and he scratches at his beard. "Kitty, please, get this itchy thing off of me! It's like a fever on my face!" he pleads.

"Hold on. Is the great Puss In Boots asking for help?" Kitty asks with a smirk.

Puss uses his stick sword to scratch at his beard desperately. "Si, help. You were right. The beard is disgusting."