Book 2, Chapter 13

Start from the beginning

Yuu shivered as he placed a cold hand on the back of her neck. The Heartslabyul boys pulled Yuu away gently shoving her behind them as Grim almost tumbled to the ground.

"Welp, I'm not takin' THAT lyin' down. Now we got no choice but to fight." Grim announced, righting himself as he stood on his hind legs, shakily balancing on Yuu's shoulders.

"You say that like we had a choice to begin with." Deuce muttered, looking worriedly behind his shoulder at Yuu, whose eyes were trained on the two boys.

"All right, fine! You're on. Cater! Remember this when you pick the official team!" Ace announced as Cater rolled his eyes, barely hiding his anxiety.

"Are you kidding me here...? Hashtag #lame." He groaned, shooting Yuu a glance. "All right, let's do this... Yuu, you watch from the sidelines. Try to read their movements and convey it to us, okay?" He asked, allowing her an excuse to not die on the field.

.

.

.

Yuu's eyes trained on the field as she sat down on the bleachers, barely able to hear her friends.

"I'm about to tear you guys apart!" Grim yowled loudly, taking a front position, tail flicking excitedly.

"Keep that talk up while you still can!" Ruggie snickered, teasing the others.

Leona slapped her back, not maliciously, but to get Yuu's attention. "Keep your eyes on the game herbivore. Wouldn't wanna get knocked out by a stray disk." He said before jumping down from the bleachers, a bored expression etched on his face.

"Meh. 'S fine by me. There's no fun in prey that doesn't bite back." His features twisted into an amused smile as his tail flicked excitedly. "Let's go, herbivores. Do your worst."

Yuu watched the game begin as she shouted what she could understand (which was barely anything, seeing as she'd never been quite good with sports), before she'd resorted to just shouting out the direction in which the opposing team was attacking.

"I swear, if this goes well, I'll start figuring out this sport for real." She muttered before noticing a fast moving spell. "Left!" She called. "I SAID LEFT!"

.

.

.

The boys had been destroyed by Savanaclaw's team as they stood, gasping for air as Yuu scrambled carefully down the bleachers, concerned.

"No way... We didn't score once!

Ace gasped as Yuu reached them.

"There's not a single weak link in their defensive line!" Deuce muttered, hanging his head as Cater sighed.

"Listen, Leona, sweetheart... Everyone knows you're a Spelldrive legend." Cater chided, begging to quit. "You know we can't compete against you!"

"What's that? You givin' up already?" Leona taunted, mirth shining in his emerald eyes.

"Aww!" Ruggie cackled, "Where'd all that swagger go?"

"On your feet, herbivores. We're having a rematch!" Leona snarled, excitement shining in his eyes as he looked at the weakened boys.

Yuu, dropping her fear and distrust, turned on her heel, marching toward Leona, her eyes blazing.

"Don't kick them while they're down, you ass!" She hissed. "How is this any different from being beaten up?"

Leona snorted, snapping his teeth at her as she backed up.

Yuu's angry eyes caught a flash of white trod over to the group, how large fluffy wolf ears perked and golden eyes scanning the battered boys on the ground. "What's goin' on here?" He grumbled.

"We're just having a little fun with some trespassers." Leona smirked, eyes still trained on Yuu, who glared at him while trembling.

"What's fun about tormenting amateur players?" Jack grumbled as his eyes settled on Yuu's small frame.

"What's thiiis?" Ruggie smirked maliciously. "Look at you, Jack! Heroically standing up for the downtrodden! How woefully admirable." Came the Hyena-boy's hissing snicker.

Jack's golden eyes narrowed as his body language showed no indication of backing down. "I'm just saying this is a disgusting spectacle and I don't wanna have to see it."

The lion regarded the wolf for a moment before he snorted, turning away. "Well, thanks. Now you've ruined all our fun." He pouted.

"Whoa, Jack. You DO realize who you're talking to, right?" One of the Savanaclaw boys questioned, surprised at his underclassman's gall to call out their housewarden's behavior.

"If you're gonna play the upperclassman card, you oughta act the part." Jack sniffed, eyes unwavering as he turned to the student.

"Whaaat did you say to me?! You want a piece of this too?!" He growled in warning.

"Pretty bold, frosh. I guess I can respect that." Leona scoffed, looking at the boys and gesturing for them to leave. "All right, I'm bored now. Running up the score against you chumps ain't accomplishin' a thing. Let's go, Ruggie."

Ruggie grinned as he looked at Yuu, bowing in a faux gentlemanly kind of way.

"Toodles!" He snarked, as he turned away from Yuu and followed Leona.

"You lot better think twice about invading our territory again!" One of the boys snarled before following after his housewarden.

Yuu watched them go before releasing a breath that she hadn't known she'd been holding as she turned to the boys. "Is everyone okay?"

"Well, I can't say that was my finest moment on the field." Cater said, giving an awkward laugh as he accepted Yuu's hand in pulling him up.

"Thanks for the help, Jack." Deuce said, nodding appreciatively, who grunted in turn and turned away.

Yuu noticed the slight wag of his tail, yet chose not to point it out.

"Save it. I ain't in the business of charity work." He grumbled, about to stalk away.

Ace groaned loudly as he stood, wrinkling his nose in disgust at his current appearance. "I'm drenched in mud over here! Let's just call it a day and go home." He called.

"Yeah, I'm gettin' pretty hungry over here." Grim admitted, padding his way over to the others.

Cater stretched as he looked at Jack. "All right, Jack, we're taking off. Don't get in any accidents, you hear?" He chided as Jack stared for a moment. Yuu tilted her head for a moment as she saw something akin to guilt flash in his face before it quickly disappeared.

"You've got a whole lotta nerve to be worrying about me. Now scram already." He shooed the group, however, his gaze lingered on Yuu, who stood staring.

"... What?" He asked nervously, his tail tucking between his legs.

Yuu pursed her lips before speaking. "I can tell that you know something..." Jack tensed before Yuu continued. "But I won't pry. I trust that you'll do what's right."

With that, Yuu turned and ran to meet the boys, leaving behind a stunned wolf frozen in place.