XI | The First Notes

Tuo stetisse dicit in cacumine,
tuo imbuisse palmulas in aequore,
et inde tot per impotentia freta
erum tulisse (laeva sive dextera
vocaret aura, sive utrumque Iuppiter
simul secundus incidisset in pedem)

You breathe in the fresh air as you look upon the waves of the beautiful blue sea, reminding you of the travels you had taken in the past, most of which with Puffy by your side. You can't help but wonder how your kingdom is doing right now, and if the loyal servant of your country is still fulfilling her adventurous dreams and embracing the seas as well.

A soft sigh leaves your lips as your decision starts being questioned again, your own mind leading you to want to request a ship to Ithaca instead of towards the mythical Crimson. The gods may want you to find it, that being the only real motive for you to seek it, but deep inside, you're questioning the legitimacy of its story and of this travel.

"How long do you think it'll take us?" Tubbo comes to stand next to you, much more thrilled than you have ever seen him, you think. "I hope we'll be gone for long. Maybe Dad will have some distraction then." You faintly smile as you ruffle his hair, letting out another sigh.

"Only the gods know, Tubbo. We have no choice but to follow Fate." You look into his soft eyes, his pure heart shining through them with ease. Truly, you hope this journey will at least positively affect him, considering he'll indeed be able to avoid his father more and will have to think less of the future of his kingdom. You think it'll be good for him. For him to have some adventures in life that he wants to face, over the time he's usually forced to stay on Cretes.

"Woohoo, our first quest!" Tommy shouts out in excitement, almost jumping on Tubbo's back with Tubbo only keeping his balance by holding on for dear life at the wood of the ship. Tommy, however, falls on his back, groaning in pain before fixing himself after Wilbur shouts at him to control himself. "Aren't you excited, Tubbo? We're going to fight monsters and tempt fate! We shall be the next warriors, just like our fathers." Tubbo's face shifts into shock at the last part of the sentence, with Tommy not even realizing the insinuation.

"Now, now, Tommy," you strictly say, looking at the children with a serious look in your eyes, "we'd much rather avoid monsters or any other monstrous events. We want the Crimson, not death."

Tommy shrugs. "I don't care for Crimson. Looking for it already gives me exactly what I want: adventure!" A childish smile spreads on his face, an innocence that you bet will soon be destroyed by the harsh hands of reality. The boy lives in a fantasy. It's both admirable and sad to watch, especially since you feel like you're one of the heroes he looks up to so much, to the point that you're his idol, a role you never wanted, truly.

"Let him have his fun," you suddenly hear the soft voice of Niki behind you, as she puts her hand on your shoulder. She then whispers in your ear: "it's his first time really out of Mycenae without Wilbur or Technoblade constantly on his back. In his eyes, it's his first time to ever experience life to its true extent."

While Tommy and Tubbo continue laughing and talking, going to the front of the ship to look out at the horizon, threatening jokingly to push the other into the salt waters, Niki smiles at you. "He wants to make his father proud."

"His father is Zeus. Good luck making him proud." Your scoff is met with a warning look from Niki, though mostly so because of concern, if you have to judge by her facial expression. "I am aware of the care with which people usually speak about the gods, Priestess. But I'm not one for sugarcoating my words for them. Besides, I've been fucked over already by Love, so there's not much they can do to make my situation any worse." Your words are accompanied by an empty chuckle, surprising Niki slightly.