Hosting Fresh - 2

With every host that Fresh claimed for himself, he was capable of forcing its soul into a sort of dormant state. It was a parasite specific ability intended to help him control his host with less difficulty, to feed of its very soul without it lashing out.

How much force he had to use was dependent entirely on how much the soul tried to fight him. They typically fought with everything they had and for a long time. It took time to wear them down, but after a few months, their attempts would significantly diminish as they realised it was futile.

But you were different.

Instead of struggling, you simply remained docile. Sure, you would sort of lash out a little every time Fresh had to feed from your soul, but that was only due to the intensity of the pain that it caused - and there was still no intention to regain control, you were just reacting because it hurt.

Being a willing host had its perks for both of you. Fresh did not have to feed from you nearly as often as he would with other hosts. He did not have to be as forceful with your soul either, so it was slower to damage. Due to that, you were one of the easiest hosts for Fresh to use, and one of the longest lasting.

After a while, he experimented with just how forcibly he reigned his control. Of course, he would never give up enough to cause him any danger, but he didn't have to suffocate your soul with his presence. And being latched to your soul meant he was always aware of your intentions, so he knew he could trust you for now.

So, he allowed you to watch. To see the world around you, to hear what was happening, to experience life, even if it was second-hand. He didn't keep you dormant. Because of that, you got to see so much.

You did quickly learn about the existence of different universes. It took a few world visits to understand that was what was going on, since nobody had actually explained it to you before. It had been confusing at first, but you remembered being so prpud when you figured it out.

The multiverse was an extremely large place, with thousands upon thousands of aus. That vastness didn't even take into consideration that there were different omniverses, though Fresh typically did not travel outside of his own. Even so, you still saw new things constantly. It seemed Fresh really did love to explore.

Life was an endless dream. Sometimes, you would find yourself thinking to your brother, and to the life you had before. Whilst you missed it all, the more time you spent lacking any control of your life, the less you could remember of who you were before you became a host to Fresh. You weren't sure if it had been caused your damaged soul, or if it had just been so long ago that the memory was hard to recall.

Regardless, the dwindling memory didn't concern you. Instead... you were beginning to replace your devotion to your brother, with devotion to Fresh. He was basically your only friend now anyway. The only one who knew you still existed. Part of you feared being forgotten, so you desperately clung to every little acknowledgement Fresh made hinting he thought about you still.

After feedings was where things became the most blurry for you and you would drift momentsrily into dormancy. There was just some moments you would never remember, but then again, maybe they weren't yours to have anyway.

From what you saw, it was rare for Fresh to reveal his true nature. He was extremely guarded about his secrets and remained cautious of those he chose to interact with. You often wondered if he was lonely as a result of that. He never truly opened up to anybody.

Each new face he socialised with made you happy, though, even if he never got too close. You wanted him to have friends. You wanted him to be happy. That was part of why you'd given up your chance at living your own life - so Fresh could live out his.

Some worlds knew Fresh was a parasite and would treat him with clear suspicion and distrust, or even downright hostility. Some didn't know, but were still untrusting. Meeting those people made you sad, even if Fresh never seemed bothered by it. You felt Fresh deserved better. He didn't choose to be a parasite! It wasn't fair to be mean to him for it!

There were even those who would attack him without a moment of hesitation if he visited their worlds. He never even had to provoke them. They had labelled him as evil simply because of what he had to do to survive. Not one of them ever seemed to consider if you had willingly let Fresh take control, and Fresh never corrected those who accused him of taking the current vessel (you).

Being as powerful as he was, Frsh didn't really need to see a need to fight anyone, even if they tried to hurt him first - he was more likely to just dodge and mock the opponent. When he did kill, it was quick. He never prolonged anybody's suffering. He wasn't needlessly cruel. You were proud of him for that.

He also had no interest in being destructive. Maybe he didn't want the negative attention it would have created. It seemed that Fresh mostly just liked having things to do. Visiting new places, meeting new people, observing others from afar.

You had seen him try a few new hobbies, but the only ones that really seemed to stay were skateboarding, and the rare spraypainting projects. The artworks were pretty, but he never kept them. In fact, the only thing he really seemed to keep was his furby collection. You thought they were cute.

You also learned that Fresh had two brothers, and he would meet with them every so often. You could remember nothing about either sibling. Not what happened when Fresh met with them, or what they looked like, or even their names. Somehow, though, you knew they weren't parasites. You also knew their relationship was strained.

Being bound together, host and parasite, meant that you were able to witness every side of Fresh, including what he was like when there was nobody to witness him. You could learn the many intricacies of his personality, and you weren't even sure if Fresh was aware of it. Or maybe he was aware but knew you could do nothing about it. You could never share his secrets with him in control, not that you would anyway.

Many considered him to be very laid back and non-serious. They couldn't always see how intelligent he was, how effective of an actor he could be, and sometimes got caught up in his 90s talk instead. They didn't get to see all the things that you got to.

But you thought of him very positively. Despite being a parasite, Fresh seemed to have made a good life for himself. He kept going on, even though you were sure you would have given up by this point. You admired him.