(It was okay.)

"Accha. Let's hangout this weekend?"

(Accha= okay/oh)

"I'll let you know." Arnav answered, scrolling on his phone.

"Bhai, how many days do you plan on rotting in your bed?

(Bhai= brother)

"I don't rot in my bed," he answered, getting defensive. "I exercise, I help mom out. I don't rot"

"Right. So tell me why haven't you met any of our friends when you've been back for a month and half now?"

Arnav sighed, his best friend didn't seem to want to stop today.

"I know retirement has been a little hard on you but -."

"Prateek."

"Alright. Alright. I'm just saying, ghar se bahar nikal, tujhe accha lagega." 

(I'm just saying, get out of the house. You'll feel good.)

"Okay. Let's hangout this weekend." He finally gave in. There was no winning with him. After all, he's one of the very few people who stood by him, no matter what.

"Yeh hui na baat. Vaani is visiting her mother this weekend." Prateek had already made their plans. "We'll have a boys' night. Pizza. Movie. Playstation and gossip. Cool?"

(That's the spirit.)

"Cool!" Arnav answered, with some of the excitement from Prateek seeping into him. He knew he was lucky to have a friend like him in his life. Their friendship had started 15 years ago, on the very first day of college. They shared ups and downs, fights and laughs. Arnav helped Prateek woo his wife, Vaani and also went on to become the best man at their wedding four years ago. Prateek supported him when he made the decision to join the army and even now, he is here, helping him adjust to his new normal.

                                                     —------------------------------------------------

Arnav was currently answering his mother's questions about physiotherapy. She insisted on coming with him to his next session and meeting the doctor personally. He didn't even try to deny her. There would be no use in doing that and his mother would be so much in peace if she met up with his doctor once.

"Did you think about what I said last week? Manasavi asked, sipping her coffee.

"What did you say last week?"

"About your marriage, beta."

(Beta= child)

Arnav huffed. He was sick of this topic.

"Maa. I already told you. Mujhe shaadi nahi karni."

(I don't want to get married.)

"Why not? Give me one good reason." 

"Well, um, because, the army. Yes, the army."

"The army, what?" his mother was starting to get annoyed. "The army was your excuse before. Not anymore. Abh toh tu yahan rahega na."

(Now you'll stay here only.)

"Maa, why don't you under-"

"Understand what Arnav? You're 33 now! Abh shaadi nahi huyi na, phir kabhi nahi hogi."

(If you don't get married now, it'll never happen.)

"I don't understand why you keep asking me to get married when you're divorced yourself!"

Hurt flashes over his mother's face and he instantly regrets his words.

"Maa, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it."

"Arnav, your dad and I didn't have a bad separation. We're still friends, you know that."

"I don't understand how you both are amicable to each other. It doesn't make sense."

His mother takes his hands in hers, "sun beta, life is very long and it can get lonely. I want you to have a partner. I want you to have someone you can call yours. Just think about it. Okay?"

(Listen child)

"Okay."

"Accha, I'll go make dinner now and, I'm going to the temple tomorrow morning."

"I'll drop you, maa." He answered. "Waise bhi mujhe ghar se bahar nikalna hain."

(I've to get out of the house anyway.)

*****************************************************************

OMG!!! You guys, the first chapter of Tujhse Hain Raabta is out! Our male lead Arnav has been having a hard time adjusting to his new life! Do vote and let me know your thought♥️

connect with me on IG: x.wanderlustwrites.x