'til we met again ┊07

﴾ august, 1997 ﴿

﴾ august, 1997 ﴿

The cold wind blowing against my face kept me awake, preventing my body from giving in and falling into a dream that probably had a better plot than what was happening in reality

The cold wind blowing against my face kept me awake, preventing my body from giving in and falling into a dream that probably had a better plot than what was happening in reality. On top of that, the bench I was sitting on was not comfortable enough to take a nap.

But in the end, one ends up sinking into whatever circumstance at whatever time. It sucks.

From my position in the hospital garden I could make out the window of the room where Shizue was. Although I could locate it, I could not really see inside. Nor could I distinguish who was in it. But I still kept my eyes on it, even if the few spells of sunshine that had hit the glass ended up reflecting off it, hitting my figure.

In my hands, light as it was, weighed the small box of mints that Shizue usually carried with her. 'Altoids' stood out in the metal.

I was not a big fan of mint. That didn't stop me from buying some mint incense at the Sunday flea market. In my lonely shared room I had become accustomed to the smell of mint that my sister carried with her, which ended up impregnated in her clothes as well as in her things. At this moment I needed to feel that scent with me. It was like being with her still.

Being so inserted in my thoughts I did not feel or hear the person who positioned to one side of the bench where I was sitting. "You brought them." Shizue smiled as she said those words. With difficulty I turned my head toward her. Her cheerful attitude contrasted sharply with the state she was in.

"A wheelchair?" I asked somewhat gruffly. With some regret— realizing the tone with which my voice had come out, I lowered my head and stretched out my arm towards her. Offering with my hand to take the small metal box.

She sighed popping a mint into her mouth. "They were so worried about me leaving the room and getting tired or having fatigue, that they handed me this." By "this" I knew she meant the wheelchair. As she said that, she grimaced and with some reluctance I smiled for her. "Ah~, I've been cooped up in the room sleeping for so long that seeing a bit of nature now lightens my mood!" I nodded quietly at her words.