I shook my head vigorously. "No. The Darkling and I are... connected. We probably always will be."

"We have to warn West Ravka," he said. "They'll need to evacuate the area along the shore of the Fold." Nikolai rubbed a hand over his face. It was the first crack I'd seen in his confidence in ages.

"They won't keep to the alliances, will they?" I asked.

"I doubt it. The blockade was a gesture West Ravka was willing to make when they thought they were safe from reprisal."

"If they capitulate," said Tamar, "will the Darkling still march?"

"This isn't just about the blockade," I said. "It's about isolating us, making sure we don't have anywhere to turn. And it's about power. He wants to use the Fold. He always has." I restrained the urge to touch the back of my hand. "It's a compulsion."

"What kind of numbers can you raise?" Mal  asked Nikolai.

"All told? We could probably rally a force of roughly five thousand. They're spread throughout cells in the northwest, so the problem is mobilizing, but I think it can be done. We also have reason to suspect some of the militias may be loyal to us. There have been massive desertions from the base at Poliznaya and the northern and southern fronts."

"What about the Soldat Sol?" asked Tolya. "They'll fight. I know they would lay down their lives for Alina and Freya. They've done it before." I rubbed my arms, thinking of more lives lost, and gripped Alina's kefta tightly, she glanced over and knocked our shoulders together in a meaning of reassurance.

Nikolai frowned. "But can we rely on the Apparat?" The priest had been instrumental in the coup that had almost brought down Nikolai's father, and unlike Genya, he hadn't been a valuable servant victimized by the King. He'd been a trusted adviser. "What exactly does he want?"

"I think he wants to survive," I said. "I doubt he'll risk a head-on confrontation with the Darkling unless he's sure of the outcome."

"We could use the additional numbers," Nikolai admitted.

A dull ache was forming near my right temple. "I don't like this," I said. "Any of it. You're talking about throwing a lot of bodies at the Nichevo'ya. The casualties will be unheard of."

"You know I'll be right out there with them," said Nikolai.

"All that means is that I can add your number to the dead."

"If the Darkling uses the Fold to sever us from any possible allies, then Ravka is his. He'll only get stronger, consolidate his forces. I won't just give up."

"You saw what those monsters did at the Little Palace—"

"You said it yourself— he won't stop. He needs to use his power, and the more he uses it, the more he'll crave. This may be our last opportunity to bring him down. Besides, rumor has it Oretsev here is quite the tracker. If he finds the Firebird, we may just stand a chance."

"And if he doesn't?"

Nikolai shrugged. "We just put on our best clothes and die like heroes."

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎

Dawn was breaking by the time we finished hashing out the specifics of what we intended to do next. The kingfisher had returned, and Nikolai sent it right back out again with a refreshed crew and a warning addressed to West Ravka's merchant council that the Darkling might be planning an attack.