Chapter XLVII

Aurelia felt her shoulders relaxing as they made their way to Viserys' solar

Aurelia felt her shoulders relaxing as they made their way to Viserys' solar. With the performers in the Red Keep, her time was rapidly decreasing.

"Princess Aurelia Targaryen of House Martell," Ser Harrold announced her.

Liane stayed behind just long enough to see Aurelia inside before leaving to her other tasks.

"Aurelia!?" Viserys quickly opened the doors before Ser Harrold had the chance to do so himself.

There was a huge smile on his face and for a moment Aurelia was confused until she realized that it was the first time she sought him out alone — since she sought to spend time with him outside of their scheduled meetings to discuss Danae and small council meetings and court sessions.

Aurelia was being neglectful in getting Viserys onside, on tearing him away from Otto Hightower's influence and making him more amenable to allowing his brother to stay in court once the matter of the Stepstones was finished.

Forcing a smile on her face, Aurelia allowed herself to be pulled inside.

"I was just about to have a small meal before hearing today's petitions. Please, join me. It seems we have hardly talked since you came back to King's Landing."

"Yes... I've been busy settling my household back and easing the children into the keep and helping Alicent with the preparations for Aegon's nameday hunt."

In all honesty, once Aurelia had made sure that there were no spies in the nursery staff and that the nurses hired had been vetted by Aemma instead of Otto — since he apparently had hired most of Aegon's household — she had found herself with more time on her hands, hence offering Alicent assistance with the hunt.

"I've also been helping Rhaenyra with her household and with some new designs for her dresses."

"Well, I hope you've also been restraining my daughter when it comes to the cost," Viserys spoke a little indulgently.

"For quite a bit of them, she was inspired by her mother's designs," Aurelia tentatively mentioned Aemma, hoping she still had an effect on him.

"Hm, I guess she wishes to feel closer to her mother," Viserys nodded. "But Rhaenyra has always favored more daring designs and heavier fabrics than Aemma did."

"As you say, she must want to feel closer to Aemma," Aurelia allowed. "And that brings me to one of the topics I wished to discuss. What happened with Aemma's trousseau, all of her dresses and jewelry?"

Viserys swallowed. "The traditional set of the Queen's jewels went to Alicent. Everything Aemma brought from the Vale, what was personally hers and what were personal gifts is in storage."

Aurelia nodded. "Have you thought of making a gift of them for Rhaenyra? We could divide it in half so Rhaenyra and Danae both have their mother's things with them. Part of Rhaenyra's half could be her gift for her nameday and the rest when she weds."