Chapter 16: A Hundred Years Without You - Part 7: Family

Start from the beginning

This girl had to be Hisana's sister; there was no doubt about it. Even her Reiatsu felt similar. The only stark difference was the hostile glare she was directing at me now.

"Disappear and find your own food," she spat. I couldn't help but chuckle.

"I have no interest in your food."

"Then what?"

"Spreading law and order in Rukongai."

The boy spat in my direction. "Hah, that's a good one! No one cares about law and order in Rukongai!"

I examined him and realized with embarrassment that his face still bore signs of pain. Suddenly, I released my grip on him.

"You're not entirely wrong," I admitted. "The privileged should care much more about it. What about you?"

"What about us?"

"Rukia, don't engage in conversation with this one!"

But Rukia stared at me with a challenging look.

"Well, why don't you use your privileges to establish law and order?"

"What privileges do we have?" Rukia asked, wrinkling her nose in disgust.

I nodded toward the stolen food scattered on the ground, mostly apples and bananas.

"You need food, which means you have spiritual powers. Why not use them for something good?"

"Something good?" Rukia inquired skeptically, and I shrugged.

"Well, you could become Shinigami."

Renji snorted in annoyance.

"That's the plan, but to do that, we have to reach Seireitei, and for that, we must survive," he explained gruffly, crossing his arms. I could see in his gaze that he wasn't sure whether to fear me.

"I understand," I muttered, scratching the back of my head.

"It's not easy to make a living here, is it? Here's a proposal: You come with me to the merchant, apologize—"

"Why should we—"

"—and, in return, I'll safely take you to Seireitei."

Renji wanted to say something, but Rukia cast him a meaningful glance. 

"Why?" she asked, her gaze growing more serious. 

I offered her a smile. "Once, I had a dream of making life better for the souls of Rukongai. It was one of my great goals. I had the will and the power to change much out here. But then... well, that power was taken away from me. Now, all I have left is my will, and even that is somewhat broken. So, there isn't much more I can do to fulfill my former dream. But if by helping you, I can make the lives of two souls a little better, that's better than nothing. Call it foolish if you like. It would be a great joy for me to help you and to once again be a little closer to the person I used to be. Besides," I grinned widely, wiping away the tears that were welling up, "Besides, I owe it to a dear friend of mine." 

"What does your friend have to do with us?" Renji's eyebrows danced suspiciously on his forehead. 

"That's my little secret. Maybe I'll reveal it when we get there." I marched past them. Only when I reached the corner of the alley did I turn back to them. 

"Well, are you coming or planning to put down roots here?" 

"Who are you?" "You can call me Kari."

With Rukia and Renji in tow, I moved more slowly than I would have on my own. Occasionally, I caught myself impatiently tapping my foot, urging the two to move ahead.