The day I met Her (Part 2)

When I woke up, I felt a pain in the back of my head and I noticed that I wasn't in the hallway anymore. I was now at the infirmary. 

I wondered if anyone had come to see me, so I look to my right, and I saw my dad giving me a relieved look.

"Rise and shine, sleepyhead."

"What the... Dad? Why did you come to school? Shouldn't you be at work right now?" I gave my dad with a confused look on my face. Hoping that he didn't skip out work just for me.

"Well... The reason why I'm here is because I got a call from your school. And yes, I should be at work, but my boss let me go so I could visit you."

"Oh... Well, it's a surprise that the school called you. I never expected them to do that." I said while slowly sat up from the bed.

"Yep. They told me that you hit your head really hard and recommended that I should take you home. But... I know you well enough to know better." My dad says, giving me a smile that makes him look like he's saying that he's proud of me which also made me smile.

For a while, we were both quiet, just enjoying each other's company. My dad gets up from his seat, and he stretches his body. Once he finishes, he looks down at me and says...

"Alright, you think you can get up, Hiro? Or do you need help getting up?"

"I-I'm fine, dad. I don't need help. But... Thanks for the offer." I say while turning my body to my right, and I carefully get up from the bed. 

My dad nods his head quietly, and he slowly walks towards the entrance to the infirmary.

"Alright, then. Let's get going. I'll walk you to class."

I nod my head in response and walk out the door with my dad.

Once we left the infirmary and entered the school's hallways, we were both silent as we continued to walk.

—————————————————————————————————

My dad and I continued to walk down the hallways in silence. From time to time, we both gave each other awkward side-eyes and quick glances. It was honestly the weirdest situation I've been in a while.

Because of how we were both quiet, I began thinking about Gotoh-San. I wondered if she wanted to be my friend or not.

Would... Would Gotoh-San really want to be friends with some lonely weirdo like me? I mean, I'm really socially awkward, a-and I don't even know how to respond to something so simple when talking to a person... N-No, I can't just start making assumptions. I've got to know more about her first.

My dad noticed that I was thinking to myself, and he finally knew what to talk about with me and how to start the conversation.

First, he cleared his throat and put both of his hands behind his head. Then, he said...

"So, kiddo... Anything on your mind right now? Like, absolutely anything?"

I pause for a second, and I start to think of a response so I could hopefully continue the conversation with my dad.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that, Dad." 

My dad gave me a smile after getting a response from me, and replied with... 

"Hm, okay. So what exactly are you thinking about? You don't have to answer me if you don't want to-" 

"Don't worry about it, dad. Of course I'd answer your question. I just... Don't know how to say it." I say with a slight look of guilt and shame.