Chapter 4: The first walk

Start from the beginning

The door was open in a matter of seconds, and Alexis stood in her white pajamas and, of course, her read beanie in front of Connor. The inside of Alexis' room was just like Connor and Mikey's, except a lot more empty due to the lack of personal belongings. The same would've been with Connor's case if he didn't have to share a room with Mikey. All the stuff in their bedroom was actually his; the band posters, the plants, even the dirty laundry. All of what Alexis and Connor owned was in the two carry-on bags they had arrived to Yule with.

-"Morning."—Connor said with a grin.

-"Good morning to you, too!"—Alexis replied, yawning in the process and stretching her arms—"Well this is new. You had never come to say good morning to me before."

-"That's so not true..."

-"You know I'm kidding... anyway, is it time to leave already?"

-"Not quite; there was something I wanted to tell you..."

-"Hmm? What is it?"

Connor entered Alexis's room and left the door just slightly open so that nobody would listen. He didn't like eavesdroppers, much less when it came down to caring for Alexis. He had always made that his top priority.

-"Listen, I know that Tyde brat called to apologize"—Connor whispered—", but, if he comes to pick on you again, or if anyone does for that matter..."

-"Con, what are you saying?"—Alexis said—"I'm not going to ask you to get into more trouble for me! You already have your plate full as it is..."

-"It doesn't matter how much trouble I get into as long as you have no problems in school."—Connor said—"I don't want anyone to pick on you. Not even as a joke."

-"How can you say it doesn't matter!?"—Alexis replied, clearly distraught—"What happens if you get into trouble again, and Brittany is in town then!? What will they do with you!? Where will they take you!? Where will I go!?"

Connor couldn't reply to any of that. Sometimes he forgot how at mercy of the system he was, and how things usually do not go his way. If something did happen, chances are he would end up in juvenile detention. And, like Alexis had implied, she would've been left alone.

-"We stick together."—Alexis said in a whisper—"And if that means that I have to take all the crap people give me at school, then that's how it will be. But I don't want you to get into any more trouble for me, Con. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself for it..."

Connor looked down to his bare feet, taking in Alexis' words and realizing that she still felt bad for what happened. She was too kind, too sweet; she couldn't help but take blame even though she wasn't to blame at all. He didn't want to cause her more pain. What kind of person would he be if he did?

-"Ok..."—Connor said—"I promise I'll stay out of trouble."

-"Do you mean it?"—Alexis asked, clearly with high hopes.

-"Yes, I do."—Connor said—"No get ready, we leave in like half an hour and breakfast is ready downstairs."

-"Ok... see you in a bit."

Connor left Alexis' room, heading towards Mikey's and thinking about what he had just promised, and secretly hoping he could keep it for her sake.

People usually didn't get how Connor and Alexis' relationship works. It's not really that common for two foster kids who are not related by blood to be sent together to all their foster homes throughout their scholar years. In fact, it's a rarity. But Connor and Alexis where the exception. They had been on and off the road since the day they had met ten years back, and they had stuck together ever since. Maybe by chance at first, but definitely by choice now. Funny, how the five year old girl who had no one in her world became so important to the eight year old boy who had just lost everything in his world. Funny, yet sad. Under any other circumstances, chances are neither of them would have never ran into one another across of their lives. Had both of them been raised by their families like they were meant to, they would have never shared the bond they did now. And that bond was something that the two of them treasured more than anything in the world, and Connor despised when people couldn't understand it.