She helps me to see color in the world of gray I've been living in for so long.

Katie looks up, and when she notices me staring, her cheeks flush to a bright shade of pink. I pull my lips to the side, biting back the smile threatening to grow on my lips.

She walks up to me, wrapping her arm around my waist. At first, I instinctively tense up, the realization that our friends haven't seen us being affectionate with each other hitting me.

I've never been one for intimate PDA. Making out with a random chick at a club is one thing, but this? This is so much more personal. This is terrifying, but when she has her arm around me, stroking my side with her gentle hand, my fears are drowned out within seconds.

My muscles ease, the tension leaving my body as I sling my arm over her shoulders before glancing down at her. My heart swells when her beautiful brown eyes lock with mine, and it's as if we're the only people in the room at that moment; the only people in the world.

Until I hear Lucas clear his throat.

I'm snapped back to reality, and I lift my head to glance around the room. Everyone is staring at us with shock on their faces, except for Hailey. She's biting down on her bottom lip to hold back a cheeky grin, her hands clasped together as they rest under her chin.

The sight makes me groan loudly. "Oh, piss off," I grumble, averting my gaze down the floor.

Everyone around us laughs, causing my cheeks to ignite.

"Katie, what the hell have you done to him?" Lucas teases.

"What do you mean?" She giggles, glancing between the two of us.

"He's all soft now," he responds with a chuckle. "I don't think I've ever seen you smile like that, H."

I roll my eyes, my cheeks burning to a shade of red I don't think they've ever reached before. "Shut up," I groan.

"He is pretty soft, huh?" Katie coos, poking teasingly at my side. I roll my eyes, a soft smile playing on my lips.

I don't think I've ever been described as soft before. After Caroline died, I built a wall around my heart. My anger is my defense; it keeps me from getting hurt. It keeps me from getting my heart broken, but truthfully, it would be a privilege to get my heart broken by Katie, because it means I was lucky enough to fall in love with her in the first place.

Ignoring everyone else crowded around us, I stare down at her in adoration, my eyes flicking back and forth between hers. Her lips part as the energy between us electrifies, and I swallow harshly before pushing away my insecurities to lean down and press my lips against hers.

• • •

"This is ridiculous," Niall laughs loudly as he holds up the gift that Cass got him.

I can't help but snicker along with him as I examine the pair of underwear in his hands, the fabric plastered with a collage of her face. Cass is doubled over with tears in her eyes, her laughter filling the room, and becoming contagious as everyone else cracks up. Katie has nearly fallen over from laughing so hard, and I have to grab onto her arm to hold her up, all while fighting my own chuckles.

"Now you can take me with you wherever you go," Cass finally chokes out, bringing her fingers up to wipe the tears from her waterline.

Niall shakes his head before wrapping his arm around her waist, bringing her close to pull her in for a kiss. They're both smiling so wide that their teeth are nearly clicking together.