New Sensei In Town (44)

Start from the beginning

Kat returned the hug, her heart heavy with empathy. "I'll always be there for him," she assured her, her voice filled with sincerity.

With a final nod of understanding, Kat pulled away and quietly left the room. As she made her way down the corridor, she spotted Johnny standing near the elevator, his face etched with guilt and self-doubt.

Upon catching sight of Kat, Johnny sighed heavily. "Miguel was right," he confessed, his voice tinged with remorse. "It's because of me that he got hurt. I taught him mercy."

Kat shook her head, her eyes filled with empathy. "No, Sensei," she said firmly, her voice carrying conviction. "Miguel was a victim of circumstance. It's nobody's fault but fate."

Johnny pursed his lips, frustration etched on his face. "I lost everything," he admitted, his voice laced with defeat. "I lost the dojo to Kreese, a kid I saw as a son. I lost myself."

Kat's expression softened, her voice filled with understanding. "I felt the same way," she confessed, her voice barely above a whisper. "When my grandma passed away, and Miguel was in a coma, I felt like I had lost everything too. I lost Robby and Hawk. I thought I had nothing left. But I was wrong. I had myself, the hope that fueled my ambition."

Johnny looked at Kat, confusion evident in his eyes. "What do you mean?" he asked, his eyes widened.

Kat took a deep breath, her gaze steady. "Don't give up," she said firmly, her voice brimming with determination. "Giving up is for pussies." She smirked.

Johnny's eyes narrowed as he processed her words. "Didn't you mention that you knew where Robby was?" he asked, his voice tinged with hope. "Right before Miguel woke up?"

Kat nodded slowly. "Yes," she replied, her voice tinged with uncertainty. "He might have left by now. I taught him how to stay off the map, to keep himself hidden."

A flicker of anticipation danced across Johnny's face. "We have to find him," he said, his voice filled with determination. "We can't let him slip away again. Not when Miguel needs him the most."

Kat approached Johnny. "Johnny, I just heard something. Robby might be at the skating park near the mall."

Johnny' smiled. "Thanks, Kat. Hopefully, that's enough to find Robby before the cops do."

Kat nodded, her expression firm. "I'm going to head back to Cobra Kai and check on my friends. I can't let what happened to Miguel happen to anyone else. I need to be there for them."

Johnny nodded in agreement. "Keep me informed of what happens, Kat."

"Of course," she replied gratefully, and with a quick nod, she left the hospital. She hurried to her car and drove across town to Cobra Kai. As she arrived, she opened the trunk and grabbed her sports bag, which contained her Gi.

Entering the dojo, Kat noticed the students scattered about, seemingly dispirited. She made her way to the back, changing quickly into her Gi. Determination filled her eyes as she walked back out to the main dojo area.

To her surprise, she saw Kreese standing before the class with his hands folded, his presence commanding attention. He began speaking, his voice firm and resonant. "Life isn't always fair, and the world can be cruel. That's why you must learn to be cruel to yourselves because weakness is unacceptable."

Kat pursed her lips. Kreese continued, his voice growing more intense. "The fight at the school was an embarrassment. You lost soldiers, and you lost the battles. But you will not lose again."

Kreese's face tensed, his teeth gritted as he continued his speech. "Diaz was one of our own, and what those Miyagi fucks did to him will not go unanswered. We will show no mercy, no weakness, and we will strike back. Is that clear?"

The class responded in unison, their voices echoing through the dojo. "Yes, Sensei." However, Kat remained silent, her eyebrows furrowing as she contemplated Kreese's words.

Noticing her dissenting silence, Kreese walked up to Kat, his gaze intense and challenging. "Mills? You with us, or are you against us?"

Kat held Kreese's gaze, her lips drawn into a straight line. She took a moment, gathering her thoughts before speaking firmly. "Sensei, I am with you, but I won't be a part of mindless vengeance. We need to be better than that. We can't let anger and hatred consume us. That's what tore us apart before."

Kreese's jaw tightened, his eyes narrowing as he leaned in closer to Kat. His voice dropped to a low, menacing tone. "You think you know better, Mills? You think your soft-heartedness, girly bullshit will protect us? We need strength, discipline, and the will to do whatever it takes to win."

Kat held her ground, her gaze steady as she met Kreese's intensity. "I believe in strength, Sensei. But strength doesn't mean losing our humanity. It means finding a way to fight with honor, to protect what's important without losing ourselves in the process."

A flicker of frustration crossed Kreese's face, but he couldn't deny the conviction in Kat's words. He took a step back, his gaze still fixed on her. "We'll see about that, Mills."