8: One-Sided Custody Battle

Start from the beginning

"I... I have my cat.." Tenko tightened his hold around you. You almost wanted to tear up, if only Shirakumo didn't immediately reply.

"I'm sure your cat is a great friend, but living on the streets is no place for a child, no matter how tough your cat may be."

That made you frown. "I can take care of Tenko well on my own too, you know." You were annoyed at his words because it's true— it's unrealistic for a child to survive on a street all on his own with just a cat as his company. That's why it became even more frustrating cause you suddenly entertained thoughts like: what if you were human instead? Why couldn't you just be human right now instead?!

"See?" Shirakumo's eyes pulled up into a crescent smile. He reached a hand to your head and patted it, making you stew in your frustration a little softer than before. "Even your cat thinks the same as I do. You deserve a proper home, three meals a day, and a safe place to sleep."

"Also baths," you said, leaning further into Shirakumo's warm hands. "And gloves. Oh Gods, the gloves! I hope Tenko tells you he needs gloves for his Quirk because I am not going to watch you disintegrate when you're actually going to adopt us!"

Shirakumo nodded. "Yes yes, you're a smart cat, aren't you? You understand what's best for Tenko, yes you do."

The boy had the audacity to cup your cheeks and coo at you. At you— he cupped your cheeks, reached his fingers at the back of your ears, and he cooed in delight at the noises that you were making.

Is this bliss? Is this pure embarrassing torture? You don't know, and you certainly don't have enough strength to fight against those emotions because for some reason, you just melted on his touch.

"Curse this cat body," you finally said after weeks of being a cat without complaining. "If I'm not a damn cat, I wouldn't even be feeling weak at just these touches alone."

It's exactly because you are a cat that's why you can easily get pats from these wonderful people.

Tenko's eyes darted between Shirakumo's hand that patted you and his face, uncertainty etched across his young features. The idea of a real home, with a roof over his head and regular meals, was enticing. He had endured so much hardship for a child his age that the prospect of something better must have been overwhelming.

Shirakumo noticed Tenko's internal struggle and decided to sweeten the deal. "You know, if you come live with me, your cat can stay too. I'll make sure you both have everything you need."

The deal is already sweet enough as is, but to receive a promise that you will also be taken care of?

That's a jackpot for you! It's what you deserve! And Tenko too, of course.

Tenko's grip on you loosened, and he gaped at Shirakumo with a sense of newfound hope. "You... you promise?"

Shirakumo smiled warmly. "I promise. We'll make sure your cat has a cozy bed and plenty of food. You won't have to worry about either of you going hungry or cold ever again."

Everything went perfectly well. Tenko was looking up at the cloud boy with so much stars in his eyes, while Shirakumo had proposed a deal that guaranteed you everything that you sought for when you first woke up in this world: shelter, food, and a lavish treatment that you deserve. The little boy slowly became certain of his answer too.

Everything should have went perfectly well, but it seemed there was someone else who didn't agree with what was happening at that moment.

"Shirakumo," Aizawa warned, his voice a low growl. He seemed to have snapped out of his initial astonishment when he heard your blissful purring and realized the implications of what was happening. "I'll say this again: but you're being stupid. You can't just choose to take on a child like this. You're still a student, and he's a minor. Not only that, but he has a place to go home to. A family to go back to."