Pretend until it's Real

Start from the beginning

He growled, a sound of desperate, confused anger.

What was wrong with him? He shouldn't be doubting everything.

He was above this! He was Zim- Irks best invader..

He pulled on his shaken antennae with frustration.

Maybe Dib was right.

No- he can't be right.

He couldn't be.

Because if the human was right, he was wrong. Irkens were never wrong…

Unless they're defective.

He hastily, roughly shook his head, his thoughts swirling into the quiet fuzz of sounds.

He really, really needed to stop being so weak about everything.

Zim was an Invader. His job was to serve his empire, to invade.

That's what he was created to do.

So he will.

It felt like hours before Zim heard the door open, hours spent trying to distract or deafen his mind.

He scrambled back behind the couch, it wasn't a good spot- far from it, but it would do until he could find a better one.

He perked his antennae, it was Dib.

His shoulders relaxed slightly, before they tensed once more. Would he still be mad about last night?

He pushed aside the recalls of what the human had said that night. Focusing on the steps growing closer.

Should he get up? Confront him first?

It'd give him an upper hand if Dib came for a fight.

Going off the rough estimate, Zim slowly stood to face the human, trying his best at an annoyed expression.

He looked a bit surprised, but then looked to the side.

"..Look, Zim, I'm.. Sorry about… what I said last night. " Dib started awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck.

Zim didn't reply, but his antennae flattened slightly, and his expression was a bit less fake.

The human sighed.

"Yeah, yeah okay. I'd be upset too, I didn't mean everything I said then. I was.. Just really… conflicted. " He gestured with his hands as he went on.

"I… You can't invade earth- please. " The word 'please' sounded strange from Dib, definitely not something Zim'd heard often.

"I have to. " The Irken hissed, stance tense.

"You don't- before, you said that fighting back was useless. But how would you know, has anyone ever tried? " He pushed.

"Of course not! It's a suicide mission to even argue against the Tallest. " He shook his head at the humans' crazy idea.

"But-"

"No! My soul purpose- the reason I was created, was to invade. And I'm going to do just that, there's no 'buts' or 'maybes' in the Irken empire, human. " Zim interrupted, his voice loathed with venom as he pointed an angry claw at Dib.

The human glared, seeming to not believe his words.

He growled, if he wanted to doubt his abilities, that would be his mistake.

Dib sighed after a few seconds.

"Fine. Whatever. Just… stay at my house for the meantime. " He pushed Zim's claw away as he spoke.

He squinted an eye in suspicion.

"... Why would I stay at your base? " The irken questioned, stepping back slightly.

He shrugged.

"Its..Safer? " He tried.

"... Fine. " Zim hesitantly agreed.

His antennae perked, and he grinned.

"That just means I'll have to bring GIR here. " He stepped towards the door.

Dib groaned, but didn't protest.

"Just- If he breaks anything I'm going to make you clean it up! " He called as the Irken began to put his disguise on.

"Uh huh. " Zim made a dismissive gesture at the human.

He stretched, before stepping out of the door.

The sun seemed more blinding than usual, but he'd have to deal with it.

For just one more day.

Then… he'd be back home.

The word home didn't seem right.. But it was the correct term. A place where he was made and 'raised'.

He shook off the thought as he walked down the sidewalk. It wasn't really important.

He'd focus on getting GIR first.