26. The Appeal

Quote
From the 1983 song "Shout to the Top!" by The Style Council. This bouncy Thatcher-era protest song about raising your voice until someone takes notice seemed on track with the events of this chapter. The full lyrics talk about getting on your knees to pray and call out to God.

I'm not sure if it's obvious, but the song is about Noel this time, rather than Julian.

Rosemary and Sage
Mary Gideon provides Afterlife first aid when Julian faints, by holding these herbs under his nose to revive him. This is another mention of rosemary, "for remembrance", as Ophelia says in Hamlet shortly before she drowns herself. Sage is a herb symbolising wisdom and immortality, and likewise was thought of as a treatment to improve memory.

Rosemary and sage really are both used as treatments to improve memory. Studies show that inhaling rosemary oil during exams help students to retain information better. Pro tip! Both rosemary and sage have been used in treatments for Alzheimer's.

Mary is not only helping Julian's mind to clear, but also to spark his memories. In case it's not clear, the previous flashback chapter where Julian relives the events before he was brought to the Waystation was the result of his memory being awakened by Mary's ministrations. I think we can feel pretty confident that the cool liquid she gives him to drink would also be something to protect and heal his mind.

 I think we can feel pretty confident that the cool liquid she gives him to drink would also be something to protect and heal his mind

Julian

Julian is now able to tell Marcus what really happened that night. He had planned to take his own life in the lake, but changed his mind. He drowned when someone pulled him under the water - Julian says at first he didn't know if it was a man or a woman, then he felt unsure as to whether it was even human.

This is taken from the episode, "The Legend of Old Gregg" from The Mighty Boosh TV show. In the episode, Noel plays an intersex water creature named Old Gregg [pictured], who kidnaps Julian and drags him down to their lair at the bottom of Black Lake. The body of one of Gregg's previous victims can be seen in the background in one scene, placing an ominous question mark over the fate of the unfortunate student who disappeared after falling into the lake at Julian's university.

 The body of one of Gregg's previous victims can be seen in the background in one scene, placing an ominous question mark over the fate of the unfortunate student who disappeared after falling into the lake at Julian's university